Tuk Tuk drivers = Criminals

clubsiam

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's what I meant! Our expats have no idea what this is all about.

And we all know the expat Mantra: If you go to LOS it is absolutely and solely your fault if you get scammed...

That obviously Thai officials (police e.g.) are involved in these scams and that it is therefore extremely easy to persuade uninformed travelers that the offers are legit, doesn't seem to matter to our old hands *we know better and the rest is stupid* at all.

I don't think that people deserve to get scammed, not in front of Wat Po, anyway.

Our old hands might not believe it, maybe because they adapted to the Thai society so much, but there societies where these kind of scams don't happen to unsuspecting tourist, like in Japan, Germany,... e.g.

I wonder, why our expats who identify with LOS so much, why they don't feel ashamed about these scams either for Thailand or for their fellow countrymen who are getting scammed?

:confused:

And don't forget that LOS is depending on these naive tourists very much; and of course this experience contradicts the image of Thailand as "Land of Smiles" completely. An image which has cost millions of dollars to set up abroad and which is severely damaged anyway.

And I presume that it would be easy the erase the scams in front of the palace with in one day.

I don't have statistics, but it would be interesting to see how many first time visitors to Asia/LOS will avoid visiting LOS after they have been scammed.

What I see needs to be done is inform incoming travelers.

A tactful, concise traveler alert that could be handed out to arrivals.

Maybe a TAT Welcome Video on the flights.

I don't see the tourism industry flourishing if this keeps escalating.

...but there societies where these kind of scams don't happen to unsuspecting tourist, like in Japan, Germany,... e.g.

But they do in Italy, in other parts of Europe, in the US, Central & South America, Africa; well pretty much everywhere actually. Ripping off tourists is as old as travel. Doesn't make it right, but it should give someone with a brain ample warning. Repeat after me: Things that sound too good to be true...ARE!

I wonder, why our expats who identify with LOS so much, why they don't feel ashamed about these scams either for Thailand or for their fellow countrymen who are getting scammed?

Because as KKN said, it takes two to tango. A con man doesn't force anyone to do anything. He plays upon their greed and stupidity. If someone really thinks that a retail shop is going to sell a *commodity* at half price, that they can sell that *commodity* for twice that in their home country, that they will believe total strangers as to the quality in a business that is well known to be one you need to be wary of worldwide (i.e., have a very trustworthy vendor)...well, then it is just Darwin in action IMHO. Has little to do with LoS or any feelings I have for it. I'd consider them just as stupid and culpable if they got scammed in Germany, Japan or the US.

Hey, years back, I went into a dodgy SoHo bar and got taken for 100 quid in a scam similar to the Patpong upstairs bars. My own damn fault. I don't blame Londoners, or the UK, nor anyone else but myself.

Cheers,

SD

...but there societies where these kind of scams don't happen to unsuspecting tourist' date=' like in Japan, Germany,... e.g.[/quote']

But they do in Italy, in other parts of Europe, in the US, Central & South America, Africa; well pretty much everywhere actually. Ripping off tourists is as old as travel. Doesn't make it right, but it should give someone with a brain ample warning. Repeat after me: Things that sound too good to be true...ARE!

Because as KKN said, it takes two to tango. A con man doesn't force anyone to do anything. He plays upon their greed and stupidity. If someone really thinks that a retail shop is going to sell a *commodity* at half price, that they can sell that *commodity* for twice that in their home country, that they will believe total strangers as to the quality in a business that is well known to be one you need to be wary of worldwide (i.e., have a very trustworthy vendor)...well, then it is just Darwin in action IMHO. Has little to do with LoS or any feelings I have for it. I'd consider them just as stupid and culpable if they got scammed in Germany, Japan or the US.

Hey, years back, I went into a dodgy SoHo bar and got taken for 100 quid in a scam similar to the Patpong upstairs bars. My own damn fault. I don't blame Londoners, or the UK, nor anyone else but myself.

Cheers,

SD

I have been to Why, Arizona several times and they don't rip the customers off. But then the city only has about 5 buildings, give or take one or two. :neener:

I have little sympathy for the people that get ripped off. They are acting out of pure greed. Anyone that thinks they can meet someone on the street in a third world and end with a 130% profit is just flat out being greedy, they are also being very stupid, but they donâ??t know that then. No one forces them to to fork out a couple thousand USD.

Classic case of people not taking responsibility for their won actions.

Itâ??s the "crimminal" Tuk-tuk drivers faultâ?¦

Yeah right.

You do have sympathy then for the scum that blocks the entrance of the GP, blocks your way out of the airport, ask a few questions whilst you shop at Patpong night market or tries to hold you hand at Chatuchak weekend market?

As far as I am concerned these scammer should be executed every morning against the wall of the GP, their protectors included. :cussing:

BTW, I worked, traveled all over Europe, including Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, North Africa, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, Kuala Lumphur, The Middle East, USA, Canada. Never got bothered by scammers, only LOS.

Did have some idiots pushing to buy from their shops, especially in North Africa, but that's not scamming.

I did notice thieves everywhere, but scammers?

Probably I don't frequent the same places as SD?

There are no scammers in front of the St. Peter (Rome), there are no scammers in front of the Louvre nor the Empire State building, nor at the entrance of the Buckingham palace or the Cologne Cathedral, there are even no scammers at the entrance of Angkor...

And usually you smell the scammers from 100m, but the scammers wearing a brown uniform which looks like a securtiy or police uniform for a first timer is a very different matter.

And don't mistake touts for scammers. That's a different story. You will find touts in all red light/bar/party districts all over the world.

Archived