Tuk Tuk drivers = Criminals

clubsiam

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I note that none of you have addressed the victimsâ?? greed that is the driver for the whole deal.

I also note that all the places you mention are not in third world countries. And the poster that says he has never seen touts in "..Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, Kuala Lumphur..." he must have never left his hotel.

This is not exclusive to Thailand. They have brought it to a fine art, which actually says they probably understand human nature better then most.

I do agree that TAT should show a video on the planes that explain basic ecomonic facts so people might understand that there are no real deals to be had in Thailand. But I doubt it would do any good. People are just basicly stupid and greedy.

Please not the difference between TOUT and SCAMMER.

I never order food from room service, I went out on Buggis street (the OLD Buggis, not the today lousy place) ful of touts yes, scammers no, what about Marrakesh Djemaa el Fna, touts by the zillion, no scammers, any Moroccan village by that, sticky as flies they are. Need more references?

I never left my hotel room, only to work, work , work :hubba:

I have little sympathy for the people that get ripped off. They are acting out of pure greed. Anyone that thinks they can meet someone on the street in a third world and end with a 130% profit is just flat out being greedy, they are also being very stupid, but they donâ??t know that then. No one forces them to to fork out a couple thousand USD.

Classic case of people not taking responsibility for their won actions.

Itâ??s the "crimminal" Tuk-tuk drivers faultâ?¦

Yeah right.

Some are greedy, some are not. If you look around you see lots of things costing 130% more, even 500% more, than back home, so why should they not get a good deal on jewels? People think like that. In the end, can you show me anybody not attracted to a good deal?

Scammers are as low as they get. They abuse the very noble human trait called trust. Without trust, we have only anarchy and selfishness. What kind of society are we heading for if we let scammers freely feed on the less enlightened?

Paillote

"Things" are different than commodities. Commodities are traded on open markets and have a value set by the worldwide market -- an ounce of gold (or a jewel, or a barrel of oil) costs the same in BFE Africa as it does in London. No one in business sells anything below market value. Period.

Manufactured goods (i.e., things) are different and you are correct that they cost different based upon what the local market will bear.

Econ 101, learnt in high school or even middle school.

Attracted to a good deal. OK, fine. But if one does not *know* it is a good deal, only takes a stranger's word for it, then well, as I said, Darwin in action. Don't feel sorry for them at all. And as I have said before: I've been there, done that, and blame no one but myself.

Cheers,

SD

Scammers are as low as they get. They abuse the very noble human trait called trust. Without trust, we have only anarchy and selfishness. What kind of society are we heading for if we let scammers freely feed on the less enlightened?

It takes two to tango. If those "trusting souls" did not see $$ signs flashing before their eyes, then nothing would happen. I'd bet that those "trusting souls" would be the same types that would keep the extra change mistakenly given by some poor shop clerk, thinking they're putting one over on the man (where reality is that the clerk eats it).

The second trait, more important than "unenlightenment" but also necessary for the scam to work, is the victim's greed. And that's why I couldn't care less about them.

Regards,

SD

Years ago I had a engineer staying with us for work - first day he had a blank day but I was flat out out working

DONT GO OUT DONT GET TUk TUK's IF YOU DO

I told him 100 times

I get back to the hotel about 5 - just as I see him getting out off a Tuk-Tuk

I am furious - he has a reputation for being very naive - and i had been told look after him.

So I say

I TOLD YOU NOT TO GET A TUK TUK

He said - yes - but the driver said I could have a all day tour for 20 baht.

I nearly fainted

WHAT HAPPENED I demanded

Well - we went to a temple - then a gem store - but I don't like gems - we went to a temple - then a suit store - but I don't wear suits - we went to a palace - then to gift shop - but I don't buy gifts - we then went to see a nice park - he stopped for petrol and asked if I could look at some silk - I did - but I don't like silk - then we cam home here - all day 20 baht.

They still get petrol coupons from the shops they take tourists to, regardless of whether they get a sale or not.

I'm not sure what sort of commission they get though, a taxi driver took my ex and me to a gem place in Penang once, at the wife's request, and she spent nearly a grand in AUD of my hard earned on a sapphire ring.

When he saw the ring he very politely inquired what it had cost and was white faced with anger when we told him. He said he'd only copped about ten bucks.

Scammers are as low as they get. They abuse the very noble human trait called trust. Without trust' date=' we have only anarchy and selfishness. What kind of society are we heading for if we let scammers freely feed on the less enlightened?[/quote']

It takes two to tango. If those "trusting souls" did not see $$ signs flashing before their eyes, then nothing would happen. I'd bet that those "trusting souls" would be the same types that would keep the extra change mistakenly given by some poor shop clerk, thinking they're putting one over on the man (where reality is that the clerk eats it).

The second trait, more important than "unenlightenment" but also necessary for the scam to work, is the victim's greed. And that's why I couldn't care less about them.

Regards,

SD

What the tourist lose is the chance to see the Grand Palace or Wat Po or National Museum, etc.

Archived