Gooner Corner

frogpatrol

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you never cease to amaze me...... :doah:

my 'story' was actually taken from a Newspapers Website.

none of the words were mine,i only copied it and posted it.

and most of the details were reported on the backpages of most of the papers.

i don't know what the truth is of the matter and no-one on this Board does either.

the truth will not come out for a long time and when it does both sides will tell different things.

anyway i don't give a toss what happened after the game,not really important.

CBK, I've accepted the result as a fact. I will NEVER accepted we were fairly beaten. A big difference. It happens..or rather 'shit' happens. I'd be much more worried had we been played off the pitch and lost 2-0. We'll go back to beating clubs at 'sexy football' next week.

Nothing will come of the 'soup' incident. The FA has to say they'll investigate because its in all the papers but they know nothing will come of it.

I see RVN has plead guilty. I'm sure Fergie and all the Man Utd lawyers saw it from every angle and tried their best to look for a way out and couldn't even come up with anything. I'm sure Ash will accept the apology in the spirit it was given :: I often wondered why there was so much enmity toward RVN by Arsenal players. I thought Scholes and his dodgy tackling was a more deserving candidate, but even Paddy admires him. The Nevilles are known for some 'awkward' tackling as well and Keown invites one of them as captain of his testimonial. Not till now did I realize just how sneaky the rat bastard is. The incident was replayed here in the states on our only footie show and you saw him looking directly at Ash. If he was looking away he could find an excuse. He meant to injure and that's what makes it so unforgivable. Keane taught him well.

More 'rumor and speculation' about 'soup-gate'. A poster on an Arsenal forum I go to says (and this is one of those my neighbor's brother's cousin's postman said stories) his friend is a cop in Manchester and says the incident happened in the Arsenal changing room and it wasn't as bad as all that but it meant that it was the Man Utd players that entered our area. I hope the witnesses who the FA will ask, and I hear they are cops are asked who they support. I wouldn't trust the word of a man utd supporting Manchester cop as I would the word of an Issan BG who claims her water buffalo just came down with malaria and they need another one as soon as possible.

We'll see what happens. I'm feeling better now. Still not happy about it but at least neutrals the world over saw the game for what it was and saw the bad refereeing and cheating and diving.

Man Utd may have done more harm than good to their own cause by shaking that hornets nest that is Arsenal.

Hehehehe, the good grace about being 1 div lower is that I don't care a lot about you fat cats above.

Rip into eachother, fight - bite and tear off eachothers limbs. Don't ask for sympathy from us who support the bread and butter, and whats essentially the backbone of the game in England! The leagues below you.

Kick and spit, woa woa - couldn't care less !!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Goes for Sayjann, Choco Steve, Gunneruk, Bibblies + most here!

Minus Long Gun of course.

some interesting facts about the 2 Teams.

TRADING PLACES

Who were the last players to move from Manchester United to Arsenal and vice-versa? Me and my mates can only think of Viv Anderson, and we're not sure if he didn't play for Forest in between

That's a good question because the move from Highbury to Old Trafford, or the other way, is not that commonplace, certainly in modern times. You are halfway there with Viv Anderson as well! Viv was indeed the last player to move from Arsenal to United back in May 1987, following in the footsteps of Frank Stapleton (1981) and Ian Ure in 1969. But in terms of players who have moved south to Highbury from the Theatre of Dreams, the last one I can come up with is goalkeeper Jimmy Rimmer. Jimmy, who was perhaps best remembered for his time with Aston Villa, became a Gunner in February 1974 having played 34 league games for United. He went on to play 124 times in the league for Arsenal before leaving in 1997. If anyone out there can think of any more recent moves between the clubs, feel free to mail in, because knowing the Manchester United-Arsenal games, we will still be talking about the two clubs next week!

STRIKING MAN U DEBUTS

Hi Martin, Just wanted to confirm if what I suspect is true: Man Utd's current strikeforce of Ruud van Nistelrooy, Louis Saha, Alan Smith and Wayne Rooney have all scored in their debuts for the club, whether it is in the Champions League, Premiership or Charity Shield. Is this correct? If yes, how unprecedented is it? What if we include Ole Gunnar Solksjaer - has he scored on debut for United?

What a very good question and I'm happy to say yes on both counts. Yes, the four strikers you mentioned all scored on their Manchester United debuts and yes, so did Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. The Norwegian made his United debut on August 25, 1996 when he netted in the 2-2 draw against Blackburn. As for the others, van Nistelrooy scored in the Charity Shield against Liverpool in the 2001, Saha scored against Southampton in the 3-2 home win on January 31 last season, Smith marked his first start for United with a cracking strike in this season's Community Shield and well, we all know what happened against Fenerbahce in the Champions League when young Rooney pulled on the red shirt for the first time! I also believe that David Bellion scored in his first United appearance on a tour of the Far East, but failed to do so on his first competitive start following his move from Sunderland.

LUMPING ON LJUNGBERG

I am planning a little flutter on Freddie Ljungberg to score against United on Sunday, because he has done me proud in the past. Just what is Freddie's record against them?

Freddie Ljungberg had an amazing start to his Arsenal career against Manchester United, scoring in his first three Premiership games against them. He has since gone on to score four goals in his 10 Premiership tussles with the men from Old Trafford, but has failed to find the net in four cup and shield games against them. His first encounter with them could not have got off to a better start. He came on as 79th-minute substitute in the 3-0 home win back in September 1998 and found the net within five minutes - which, if my memory serves me correctly, is still a club record. He then got the Gunners' only goal in their 2-1 home defeat in August 1999 before netting in the 1-1 draw at Old Trafford the following January. He also opened the scoring in the 3-1 home win in November 2001, a game best remembered for Fabien Barthez's blunders and Thierry Henry's brace. Just a little pointer to Freddie's current goalscoring form Jane, he has scored seven times in his 13 appearances for Arsenal and Sweden so far this season, including three in his last three games.

TROUBLE ON THE CARDS?

I can't wait for Sunday's match-up at Old Trafford. I support neither Man U or Arsenal, but it is one game I always watch, but I was just wondering who has actually been sent off in the EPL games between them and just how many bookings there have been. Who is the 'dirtiest' out of the two sides?

The 24 Premiership fixtures between the two have only produced four red cards, two for each side. Eric Cantona was the first to go in the 2-2 draw at Highbury in 1994, before Mark Hughes followed suit in the corresponding game the following season, that ended all square at 0-0. The two Arsenal players to see red against United also came in successive clashes. First Sol Campbell was sent off in a thrilling 2-2 draw at Highbury on April 16 2003, for elbowing Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, while the following season was of course, Patrick Vieira who earned himself an early bath at Old Trafford, in the now infamous 0-0 draw on September 21. As for the yellow cards Chip, there have been 87 in the 24 games, which is an average of 3.6 per game. And like most head-to-head stats in the Premiership, it is a close call as to which side has the most. It is in fact Arsenal, who have picked up 44 cautions as opposed to United's 43.

ADVANTAGE ARSENE

I was at Highbury the other day and heard that Wenger will celebrate eight years in charge at Old Trafford on Sunday. What is his head-to-head record with Fergie in the league. I am not so sure that for all his achievements, he will not come off worse.

Of the 14 Premiership games between the two sides, Arsene just shades the head-to-head with Sir Alex. The Frenchman took over the Highbury helm in October 1996 and of the 14 Premiership games against United since then, he has been on the winning side six times. Ferguson can claim four victories in that time, with the remaining four, including the last three meetings rather interestingly, have ended all square. So Wenger's record against Ferguson and United in the Premiership reads Played 14, Won 6, Lost 4, Drawn 4.

HEAD-TO-HEAD

My Gooner mates reckon that going way back, they have beaten United more times that we have beaten them? They keep harping on about their wonderful side in the 1930's and the fact that they have never been out of the top division. Please let me shut them up and tell me United have the better record in games between the two.

United do have the edge over Arsenal in the head-to-head stakes. They have played each other 192 times in all competitions over the years and the spoils have gone to Manchester on 76 occasions, with Arsenal celebrating success 74 times, and 42 games ending in a draw. In the league, United are ahead 68-63 (39 draws), in the FA Cup they are level at 5-5 (one draw), in the League Cup Arsenal are up 2-1 in their three meetings and in other competitions, usually the Charity or Community Shield, Arsenal are 4-2 to the good from the six games between the two sides.

ARSENAL DRAWN MAN UNITED

LEAGUE 63 39 69

FA CUP 5 1 5

LEAGUE CUP 2 0 1

OTHER 4 2 0

TOTAL 74 42 77

(includes the latest game)

This game seemed like the kind of game that I thought would end our run. An opponent we should beat and it was just one of those days.

We deserved a win I thought. We were the far more attacking side. They packed it in and hoped for the best. Henry could have put us a goal to the good but missed a penalty that I'd admit looked legit at first but Dennis perhaps done a little play acting in the replay. It looked good enough to fool me at the moment so I'll accept it. (Rooney's NEVER fooled me, didn't fool Riley either probably...okay, I'll drop it, the game is over with..lol). To be fair they hit the post as well and it could have been a goal.

Just when we subbed off Reyes who had a knock and Edu for Pires and Fabregas we got going. Henry opened up the scoring with a well taken goal. He had prior chances and we needed it. 67th minute or thereabouts and I thought it was over as we were in command of the game anyway and they rarely threatened. Then they sub in Dulap, some unknown and he obviously read the book titled 'How To Score On Arsenal', chapter 1: Work for a set piece: corner, free kick, etc. chapter 2: Since Arsenal has the worst markings of players on set pieces, simply get the ball into the box and somone on your team, unmarked of course, will get a free header. Dulap scores twice and its 2-1 Soton after 80 minutes!! Wenger throws in van Persie who I like very much having seen him play for Feyenoord early last season. We miss a few chances and it just doesn't seem like our day. Then with litterally a few seconds of extra time Arsenal gets the kinds of goals Man Utd usually gets. van Persie sets up the ball nicely in the box and BAM in the far corner!! We actually have a chance for a winner and the referee (for the 2nd time in the game, Ash being fouled the other) doesn't signal 'play on' when Henry gets fouled in the dying seconds near their box and has a free look at the goal. He cost us 2 points, that ref.

Soton can feel good that they came to Highbury and got a point but they can't feel they deserved all 3 points. They were lucky to get the 1. They played spirited and were missing Philips and Beattie and did a good job considering who they had to play but we were in command the whole time. They played compact and frustrated us at times.

We've not had our zip since the CL game in Athens. We've been out of sorts it seems. Maybe its too many big games in too few days like last spring. The boys are mentally tired if not physical.

van Persie has a bright future. Wenger has got another one out of his magic hat. In a year or so, the PL headlines will be replacing van Nistlerooy with van Persie. :)

Pompey 2 - Man Utd 0

I thought this weekend will tell me two things. First, if the game we were cheated out of at OT will have any lingering effects. Well, the jury is still out I think. A draw against a woeful Soton would suggest otherwise but looking at the game we dominated and were a bit unlucky. The second was if the game would 'kick start' the season for Man Utd. I thought otherwise beforehand. Why? The Liverpool game was suppose to have done it and Man Utd spent the next two weeks not getting a goal from open play at Spurs and had to rely on a PK and then drawing 1-1 to 'Boro at OT who had 6 starters out including JFH and Viduka. That suggested deep problems, persistent problems. My thoughts came to fruition. The Arsenal game was a one off. They can't duplicate the same desire week in, week out. Plus the midfield. EVERYONE but Fergie knows they need a change in midfield ASAP and he should have addressed it in the summer. He may do it in January and I hope its not Ballack as I hear he's fallen out with the Bayern Munich people. Arguably the best tandem of strikers in the league and possibly only 2nd to Real Madrid in quality and I can get more as well as better service at a redneck restaraunt than the Man Utd strikers can from their midfielders. I can't say I'm unhappy about their result but the problems persist and I still maintain that by our rematch they will already be out of the title chase and will be playing for another FA cup as their main trophy.

Chelsea quietly coming up. Level on points now. 2 straight games of 4 goals. Not sure what to read into that. Normally, I'd say it was worrisome but they beat an out of form, Blackburn side last week and a leaderless, relegation candidate in WBA this week. When they put up 4 goals against a 'Boro or Bolton then I'd take the scoreline a bit more seriously.

Man U showed the blueprint on how to beat Arsenal and why Arsenal is not effective in Champions League play: they got physical with them. That was one reason why I was hoping they would sign Kluivert instead of the Toon. He would've given Arsenal a mean streak they lack. Arsenal is too much of a finesse team and that hurts them in Europe.

Kick us to death, get a referee who doesn't make calls and dive for their goals? Well, not sure if that will work every week.

Arsenal's problems in Europe is mental. The players just don't play the same. When we do, we do well. Its not tactics, its attitude. In a strange way, I was not as upset about drawing as I would be.

I also think that it will be the Arsenal youth that will win it perhaps. For some reason Vieira, Henry, Pires and some of the senior players are psyched out by the competition.

We have youth like Fabregas, Lupoli (wait till you see this 17 y.o.!), van Persie, Reyes and Senderos will take a different attitude and approach it with the confidence and arrogance you sometimes need to do well in it. They train with world class players every day and are confident that they can go play against anyone. We may have to wait till '06 or '07 when those 'kids' come through to the senior squad.

Arsenal will win it when we are not expected to, like a lot of clubs (Porto, Man Utd..yes them too, Dortmund).

Only a handful of clubs have 'sussed' out the competition and are a threat to win it each year. Milan, Real Madrid are the two that come to mind.

If we are out of the competition at some point, it may be a good thing with regards to the league. I don't know if we have the type of squad this year to make a run in the league and the CL. The league will go down to the wire probably. Not sure if we can play our stars twice a week or every 3 or 4 days in April and May if we are in the CL and possibly the FA cup as well. Vieira and Sol won't see 38 league games any more. They'll miss at least a half a dozen throughout the year with new or recurring injuries. It will be tough.

We'll get through the group stage and the draw will tell us how far we'll go.

Archived