Gooner Corner

frogpatrol

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man U got all the big decisions in their favour. Once again I have to wonder if the situation was reversed would Arsenal have got a penalty, and would they have had a defender sent off.

I must say that for 15 minutes or so before the penalty Arsenal just seemed to be going through the motions. Their midfield had gone to sleep, and they were conceding mindless freekicks in dangerous positions. They were doing everything to invite trouble, and it inevitably arrived. The first goal in this game was always going to be cruical, and just inviting pressure always dangerous. ::

Granted it wasn't a great Arsenal performance and in games like these where passions run deep, you don't get virtuoso performances from each side sometimes. Still, I thought we shaded it in quality. I don't think we played badly enough for a loss. A draw at worst. I think with the quality and lack thereof from Man Utd over the last couple months it seemed like Arsenal weren't the better team. We created a few chances I thought. Shame, the first goal had to be controversial. Even Rio in an interview hinted as much.

At least I can take from it that we weren't beaten by their quality of play and played off the pitch.

And the streak had to end, although I'd prefer it to be against a club like Pompey (whose support I admire) or more 'deserving' club.

We'll all see come May whether or not this has had any effect on the title.

Riley did loose it in the very early stages of the game.

Why wasn't ManU down to 10 and why was Cole given a yellow card where Neville got away with a similar foul?

Apparently in the last 8 games he participated in at OT with ManU he give in each game a penalty to ManU.

When Rooney, clearly I thought, dived to win a penalty, was he not already on a yellow card? If so, his blatant dive should have brought a second yellow, and he would have been off, thus unable to score the (admittedly excellent) second goal that finished the game off? The first goal was always going to be crucial and alter the shape of the game and, when it comes through cheating, it's a shame. (The later foul on Rooney (?) by Cole that Mr Magoo Riley missed was a clear penalty though. So what gives? ::) Bring on video evidence, I say, not for the first time. :: Referees are ruining games. :cussing:

Bergkamp :bow: is no longer a 90-minute player and, as Chocolat Steve says, should have been substituted instead of Reyes. Some of Bergkamp's passes in the last 30 minutes were very poor from a man capable of such vision and genius when he's not knackered.

Henry :bow: was marked excellently, and could do little. Every time the ball went near him, it seemed there were 3 Man U players up his arse, round his ankles and inside his shirt. :o If Henry picked up a long-term injury I would worry deeply about Arsenal's strike power. Wish Arse had bought Rooney, Saha or Smith, instead of Man U. :rolleyes: Now that Smith seems to have curbed his viscious temper, he's blossoming into a great player. Rooney's an annoying thug, but a wonderful player and if he was playing for my team he could be as big a thug as he likes. ::

Lehmann :clown: still looks very shaky on hard, well-hit crosses. I shit myself every time the ball comes over from someone like Ronaldo, and when he comes lurching out of his area trying to dribble the damned thing instead of hoofing it into the stand, I can't bare to look. :doah:

Still, an exciting game. Like a cup final. Well done to the winners. :(

jack :help:

Riley somehow got to referee more games at OT than any other referee, I don't have the exact number but it is more than any other referee, in fact far more. There is supposed to be a rotation. Also, he has awarded Man Utd a penalty the last 8 times he has refereed a game!! I don't believe in conspiracy theories usually, there are no aliens in area 51 in the Nevada desert, i doubt the alleged power of the Illuminati, Trilateral commission or the Carlyle group but this one may even get me to start believing.

Rio's foul on Freddie wasn't a yellow if not red or penalty as he was the last man? Replays shows a clear push. Oh well.

As a totally impartial Liverpool supporter and taxi driver in Manchester I would like to say how happy I am that that set of big headed twats have finally managed to put some points up and I am not the least bit sick and tired of hearing how Rooney'l help the win the league.

Mind you I've not forgotten Thomas in 89 and as an unbiased onlooker I think it would have been best if Al Quaeda had issued a bomb threat and the game had been called off.

Cheers

Rooney's penalty is indeed questionable, but Ronaldo's minutes later wasn't. If the ref gave one for Rooney then surely he should've given one to Ronaldo as well.

First few minutes were full of hard tackles which should been rewarded with a booking. The ref didn't do so and it's exactly there that he lost grip of the match. IMO the ref is to blame for allowing yesterdays standard to be mean spirited.

Had he booked the first 4 5 fouls then we'd have seen a much nicer game. Still enjoyed the match though, and I'm glad Man U were able to disrupt Arsenal's unbeaten run.

One final thing I'd like to say is that I'm very disappointed to see RVN playing dirty as he did. First the horrible charge on Cole's knee and later on Lehman's ankle..very disturbing.

i got bored with this thread a while ago and decided not to contribute anymore,but i feel i must have a say about the game on Sunday.

as usual a pretty crap game with the usual tentative sparring and feet being launched into opponents.

these games are always hyped up and again it failed to live up to it's billing.

Rio should have been booked(at least)for his shove on Ljundberg,RVN should have been booked for his raking of Cole's knee and Gary Nev should have been booked earlier than he was.

but Cole gets no sympathy from me as i hate the arrogant mouthy barstard.

the Ref was shite but i think Arsenal played into his hands by their non-stop moaning.

everytime a Utd player committed a foul Vieira,Cole and Campbell were in his face and i think he got pissed off with it.

Rooney took advantage of the 'challenge' by Campbell and went down and that shows he is learning.

he won't be the first player to do it and will not be the last this season.

but i think the Arsenal fans have selective memories.

i remember Pires diving last season against Portsmouth and earning a Penalty,but just like Wenger they see what they want to see and forget about things when the cheating goes in their favour.

Campbell made a rod for his own back when he was beaten by a bit of skill and he stuck out his leg.

a lot of forwards would have done the same by falling down(but i imagine Arsenal forwards are too noble to do anything like that).

but it was a definate penalty when Cole fouled Ronaldo(not Rooney FJ,and no Rooney had not been given a Yellow card previously)and that was not given and they say that things even themselves out over a season.

i didn't realise Riley had given Utd so many Penalties(the other 7 were in the 2002/03 season)but don't forget he gave one to Liverpool in April which resulted in Liverpool winning the game.

neither Team were innocent of fair play and i did enjoy the physical aspect of the game even if it got out of hand a few times.

seems there were shenanigins in the tunnel after the game with Players squaring up to each other as usual and good to see things haven't changed much.

i also hear that an Arsenal Player threw Coffee all over Fergie......

i think Wenger might be asked to explain his comments about the Ref being a cheat and i think RVN will be charged for his foul on Cole.

i think Rio had another fine game and is looking good after his abscence.

apart from him i think only Scholes played above average for Utd.

can't really think of any Arsenal Player who impressed apart from Reyes who backed Cole up everytime and dropped to Left back whenever Cole went forward.

2-0 flattered Utd and a draw was probably the right result as neither Team really deserved the win.

seems i was right.

RVN has been charged with 'serious foul play'.

richly deserved in my opinion as it was a career ending foul.

i don't like to see members of my Team playing like that.... :cussing:

Winger has been asked to explain his comments about the Ref.

and the FA seem to be interested in the soup(not coffee as i said earlier)throwing over Fergie incident.

but we all know how useless the FA are and they have lost all credibility in many peoples eyes because of the way they dealt with the Beckham incident....... :banghead::doah:

Archived