How many years have you been on the board ?

gobbledonk

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi KS, first page of members list sorted that way:

Avatar Username Title Posts Registered On

jigger member 156 14/05/2001

khunsanuk Board Admin 18090 14/05/2001

shygye Carpal \'Tunnel 6945 15/05/2001

FEEDTHEGOAT stranger 0 15/05/2001

drlensman member 10 15/05/2001

Pianoman member 196 15/05/2001

TempAdmin member 12 15/05/2001

scuba22 member 34 15/05/2001

Stickman enthusiast 1415 15/05/2001

PartOfTheProblem member 137 15/05/2001

spirit_of_town_hall 3624 15/05/2001

Crash999 enthusiast 728 15/05/2001

think1stbkk enthusiast 375 15/05/2001

frogpatrol 1030 15/05/2001

Roger enthusiast 544 15/05/2001

Swishtz enthusiast 364 15/05/2001

buffalo_bill 2641 15/05/2001

BKK_Sanuk member 25 15/05/2001

beastee member 154 15/05/2001

sabaiguy member 5 15/05/2001

Chuckles member 124 15/05/2001

phiketpete enthusiast 755 15/05/2001

ALHOLK Carpal \'Tunnel 3530 15/05/2001

jirve77 123 15/05/2001

Wildalaska 2761 15/05/2001

Well, 5 month later, yours truly joined that honorable bunch. Loved (most) of every minute of it.

36 days and the rest of today!!!!!!

MaW

I remember those competitions yes.

I was a member of an earlier version and then signed on on this board under the nick of CrazyMan (Asfo nick, given by the great Sarasin) I was never really active though. I forgot the password to Crazyman so decided to make this nick which I basically use on all places around the internet that I sign up for!

W

Hmm, 18/8/2001. Doesn't seem that long. I had already been living in Thailand three and a half years by then and I remember reading posts where people asked questions or recounted their personal situations and thinking quite often, 'yup, been there, done that, bought that T shirt. Then again I've learnt stuff here too that's probably stopped me more than once from making an even bigger arse of myself than I usually do.

All,

Jeez, it's been so long I can't really remember the original board I started on. I think Delphi, but I seem to remember another one before that one, or a second delphi board even, also I was on asfo.com and a couple other message boards/mailing lists as well. But this board, in all its versions, was always a great place to get info, chat with like-minded people, and over the years I have met lots and lots of people and made some very good close friends (none of them being named Ramon).

I agree newbies get taken apart too often and the benefit of the doubt should go towards any newbie being who they claim. But, saying that, some are just too obviously reincarnations and those booted were booted for behaving like total assholes. The thing is KS is very lenient in this and these twats abuse his decency and keep returning and eventually causing trouble again and again.

I don't post as often as I used to here. It's rather same old same old at times, but I have many friends here and acquaintances I enjoy and it is a great way to keep in touch, find out where everyone is, when they are coming to the LOS, where they'll be meeting, and who will be showing up at a meeting when I am in BKK. And I still meet new people at each meeting, usually, which is great.

The mixture of old hands, expats, newbies, frequent and infrequent tourists makes for a good mix with the occasional clash now and then. I remember arguing with many an expat when I was just a frequent visitor, as they have a different take on it all than the visitors do.

I feel some people just take it all too seriously at times and that causes the problems. Throw in differing cultures, differing levels of English language comprehension and expression, the fact that text can be misread easily, misconstrued, and the meaning of a post not understood due to all of this (which is why I do feel emoticons are great to show much more closely what you might be trying to say) and silly things can be blown all out of proportion and clashes occur. Some of the silly on running gags some people don't like, or get, or they find them annoying. Well, get over it. Ignore it. It's just some fun among the friends and acquaintances. Your approval is not required.

Is it cliquey? At times, but then there are groups of friends within the whole and not everyone is a part of these smaller 'groups within the group'. What's the big deal? Most everyone here is easily accepted as a part of the whole Thai360 group though. It is why the meetings can be fun and interesting. I can understand some not wanting to meet and divulge their true identity at times. Some are just loners by nature as well. Some like to be in the/a group. This site though is a gathering place for all to exchange information and stories and chat about the many aspects of the experience of Thailand, all its aspects. It has grown, and morphed and changed/evolved a thousand times over the years. People come and go, make friends, and make enemies, just like in real life.

But I thank KS for keeping it all going over all these years. It is a lot of work for him at times, I know, and an expense as well. And at times, a huge pain in the ass. :) It has been fun and I have made many good friends from this bit of virtual reality that I would have never met if it wasn't for this board. It wasn't that long ago when none of this was possible at all. Now we have people from around the world at our fingertips to talk to about a plethora of topics that interest us all. It's weird in some ways, and at times it is hard to remember just what it was like before the internet made this all possible.

My best friend now, here in Surin, e-mailed me about life in Surin, as he was moving here and saw I was already living here from my posts and wanted to ask me some questions. That is how we met, and later we met in person and hit it off. And now he lives here with his wife and kids and we hang out often. He's a good guy. Without the net we likely never would have met.

The board has many different uses that are as unique as the individuals using it. The problem I see at times is that some try to stifle that 'broadness of use' to their own version of how they think it should be used. That is the sort of cliqueyness I disagree strongly with.

Most here are live and let live. After all, it is only a message board.

Just my thoughts and opinions. Yours may vary.

Cent

Archived