Thousands in Los Angeles protest gay-marriage ban

Flashermac

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
steve how do blacks feel about homosexual marraige and homosexuals in america. cultural no no i believe?.....i know you sing kumbayar and go along with gay marraige but what about your average african american (you never being average :smirk: )

Exit polls estimate that 70% of black voters approved Prop. 8 (that is, they voted to ban gay marriage). Given this high approval rate and the big upsurge in black turnout as a percentage of the electorate, the additional black votes due to their increased participation rate was sufficient to provide the winning margin for Prop. 8. Latino voters also approved Prop. 8 but much more narrowly. Asians disapproved narrowly and whites disapproved more widely.

The fact that blacks were the most-approving constituency has been much remarked upon this week. It is a very, very big deal.

Here's a good link to get you started if you want to see more about this:

http://www.classicalvalues.com/archives/2008/11/the_inner_bigot.html

My own informal straw poll is that the average black person doesn't care if they want to marry or not.

Culturally, homosexuality is a big no no.

As I said in another thread, the yes on Prop 8 side had a lot of ads and I saw a few right wing fundamental church members holding signs on Crenshaw Blvd.

One gay activist here said they didn't bring their message to the black community. Obama was against prop 8 but my guess is very very few blacks knew that. The sides of the various propositions that got the most airtime got the votes as far as I can tell. Most voters are lazy. Its that way across all strata of America. Its what they see on the tv that decides how they vote a lot of the times.

The only blacks who would vote for prop 8 even if both sides had equal airtime are older, chruch going blacks. They grew up in a different era and are not much different than the white fundamentalists in their views on gays and abortion. The 18-36 y.o. blacks grew up in LA, have been around gays their whole lives and don't care. I was very homophobic when I arrived in LA due largely in part in the area I grew up. I was a little astonished Los Angeles blacks weren't as outraged as I was about seeing gays. "..ah man, just some punks' (punk is a slang term for gay), is what I heard. Working with gays and befriending a few changed my viewpoint about the whole thing. Most of the black women I have as friends have or have had a gay guy as a friend. In a lot of the jobs I've had the gay guys have made friendships with black women. They love the 'sass' black american women have. Funny thing is the gay friends are usually white gays.

Over the last decade a lot of black women have been in relations with black guys who were secretly bi or gay. Called the 'down low' in the community so there is a backlash against black gays in the black community because of it. Black women complain that the dating pool is bad enough as it is and where they once befriend black gays who worked as stylists in the beauty salon or were in the church choir (there are a lot of them there), they are now seen as rivals for straight black men.

So, in a nutshell, the older church going blacks would vote no all the time. The younger ones don't care either way and push come to shove would say 'go ahead let them marry'.

That's my unscientific poll based on general conversation.

I won't reiterate the thoughts already expressed in the other threads on this. Just that most of us here are married (or in relationships) with gals not of our race. And that this was illegal as late ago as 1967 (Loving v VA). And I fail to see that gay and "white/non-white" is any different. Just replace the subjects in any argument (gay with white/non-white) and you'll see my point.

Church marriages are not in question here. Let those bastards do what they want. Fuck 'em, but take away their tax-exempt rights. We are talking legalalities here.

Let the fags/lesbos have a country-wide right to marry. It is the right thing to do from any perspective (save the idiot Xtian POV and they lost that point with Loving). Besides, we are not a country ruled by the Bible -- the righties *have* to believe that with their violent opposition to Sharia law (which I agree with BTW).

Cheers,

SD

I won't reiterate the thoughts already expressed in the other threads on this. Just that most of us here are married (or in relationships) with gals not of our race. And that this was illegal as late ago as 1967 (Loving v VA). And I fail to see that gay and "white/non-white" is any different. Just replace the subjects in any argument (gay with white/non-white) and you'll see my point.

Church marriages are not in question here. Let those bastards do what they want. Fuck 'em, but take away their tax-exempt rights. We are talking legalalities here.

Let the fags/lesbos have a country-wide right to marry. It is the right thing to do from any perspective (save the idiot Xtian POV and they lost that point with Loving). Besides, we are not a country ruled by the Bible -- the righties *have* to believe that with their violent opposition to Sharia law (which I agree with BTW).

Cheers,

SD

I got to agree with you on this one. A lot of people are turned off from religion because of the "do as I say not as I do" philosophy. When a lot of the Christian religions claimed Jesus drank grape juice instead of wine, that was the end of it for me. Pure hypocricy along with a lot of their other beliefs.

Its what they see on the tv that decides how they vote a lot of the times.

Well' date=' there's a lot of stuff on TV this week that might not help the gays win over the public. Is that OH there at the end?

More religious hatred! What would Jesus do if he was alive, walking the Earth today? Would he do this shit? Would he be violently opposed to homosexuality or would some of his followers be homosexuals?

Archived