to carry your passport or not?

PhilAnders

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Asked my girlfriend who called her lawyer friend

(this friends had to recently sort out a visa an wp problem for a company's expat)

-> following Thai law: "every foreigner (like every Thai citizen) has to carry a proof of identity recognized by law"

-> As a green card, EU ID card or drive license are not recognized as proof of your ID -> you have to carry your passport on you.

A copy of the passport is not a legal proof of ID as well as a WP or any other kind of stuff.

This said, I don't know if my girlfriend's lawyer is a good one or not.

From my point of view: I always carried my passport on me and never had a problem

(an the passport came handy in one or two cases)

The absolute truth is you have to carry it to identify yourself and to prove that you are in the country legally.

The police told me that they will usually accept a photocopy of the relevant data.

J2

Could you please point me in the direction of the law that states that Non-Thais have to carry a passport or have you spent to long on TV and buy into this shite!

I sit here now and will be sitting here in ten years time waiting for you to show me a legal requirement to carry my passport!

As a tourist in Thailand you have to carry your passport, an expat can show their ID in other ways - a driver's license for example.

Sweden is one of the few countries in EU where I as a citizen don't have to carry an ID as long as I don't do something illegal or drive a car. Every foreigner (not swedish citizen) must according to swedish law either carry their national ID-card (if they come from EES) or a passport.

WF, even a dane or nowegian has to carry national ID or passport in Sweden, but this is theory and the foreigner law in real life swedish police and immigration never check ID if not suspected for a crime. Easiest way to identify myself is to speak swedish and give my social security number, police can directly see my passport photo.

I sit here now and will be sitting here in one hundred years time waiting for you to show me a legal requirement to carry my passport!

you are wrong on that and you should know! how can you point a newbie again into the wrong direction and directly into a Thai jail or even worse deportation! :banghead:

Suadum has a friend at the Police and he knows the absolute truth! no need for a legal document in written; he IS the law! :bow:

Archived