to carry your passport or not?

PhilAnders

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess the fact I always carry my passport on me comes from the little accident which happened to me when I was younger -> car crashed into me...

I did not have any piece of ID

Was a mess until they could call my family.

(until I spoke the dumbass thought I was either an illegal immigrant or a Japanese tourist)

So Copy n Paste from the actual Immigration Act means nothing but posting unsubstantiated opinions does?

copy n paste is easy, even you can do! but understand and interprete a legal act is not everybody's cup of tea! seems you do not get much inspiration about legal affairs on your oil field! :neener:

Showing your ignorance and grasping at straws now Samak, my Primary Degree and my Post Graduate studies were in Engineering but my Secondary Degree I took later in life was as Bachelor of Law so I also can use LLB as a suffix if I wish to do so.

Guess what, even in Oil n Gas for all of the hands that work in the field at corporate level it is a multi-billion Dollar industry where contractuak issues are discussed to the nth degree .

Do you wish to share your legal qualifications with us or are you just like my Grandfathers Colostomy bag and full of shite?

If you ever had the balls to meet me face to face I would be more than willing to take the piss out of you from both an engineering and a legal perspective but I very much doubt you would even consider taking up the challange. Stay behind your keyboard and mock yourself I do not travel much as part of my job, I have sub-ordinates who work the crap jobs!

calm down my friend, i am worried about your blood pressure! at your age you should not get so much stress from a simple board posting! remember the threats of coronary diseases!

i am astonished that you also have a bachelor of law! of course this qualifies you to throw in your two cents on any "contractuak (?) issues" you face in your oil field!

our studies in civil and constitutional law (yep, me as well), my friend, should never make us tempted to interpret thai law from a western perspective! my experience of several years in a executive function in a JV, dealing with all kind of legal issues, has taught me a different perspective!

regarding my attitude, i do not pretend that i know everything and i am not interested in taking the piss out of people with other opinions! i prefer to listen to them, also to my subordinates (for which i have to care that they do not have to work "crap jobs") and benefit from their experiences and opinions!

OK Samak if you are prepared to be civil with me I will be civil with you. To begin with I would not be surprised if I was actually younger than yourself.

The guy, I may say my mentor, who got me interested in taking the law degree was a corporate lawyer I worked with in Saudi who became a good friend of mine. He has his doctorate in Computer Science from the same Uni I graduated from and after a couple of civilian projects (amadeus airline system was one of his) he worked for UK intelligence (an oxymoron I know) on many covert ops before he decided to get out and make a career change and went into law himself.

He explained to me over a few beers in the illrgal shabeens in Saudi on many a Friday afternoon how much law and computer science has in common ... If Then GOTO is this simple BASIC or legal presidence there is a very fine line. I chose to utilise my spare hours in Saudi to persue the Bachelor in Law since the alternative was to fire up the still and get pissed all the time.

I am probably the same as yourself, I don't profess to know everything but in a smug way I feel I know more than most, egotistical, reality or being a plain cunt I don't know but you are the simular, take a step back and you will see its true, hence the reason our ego's collide.

I am the first person to realise that it is non productive to apply western legalise or thinking whilst dealing with Thai or many other asian juristic systems, I was merely playing devils advocate and asking fellow board members to disprove my comments and facts ... In English I was being a cunt but to be honest that is probably the main reason why companies retain my services.

I make no apologises for who I am or my attitude, you are free to choose to keep on trying to bait me and stimulate my humorous, or maybe you may take a step back and realise that neither you or I are the biggest pair of dogs bollox in this forum.

Does a law degree entitle its owner to (in the US at least) go defend a case in court?

I had a bit too many law courses during my studies but a law degree is only specifically for...lawyers

(of course nothing stops someone to take a master in law).

Both mekon and samak point of view are interesting.

The crux of the matter (IMOH) is: What are the documents recognized officialy by Thai law as other proofs of ID than the passport?? (in the case of foreigners).

As I said, my girlfriend's the lawyer friend said that a passport was the only ID recognized officialy.

Now, taking the law as you nicely pasted it.

In the case of the passport this is a clear case.

Now, "Document in lieu of passport".

If there is no other article stating which documents are considered as a valid proof of ID then this is either:

- A legal open door for future documents which could be recognized as proof of ID in lieu of the passport (without having to modify the law -> just add an alinea which states the document recognized as ID)

- A legal trap (if there are some articles stating that the officers recognized by law aka MIB have the latitude to determine which documents can admitted as proof of ID)...

Anyway, I feel there is no need to argue as:

- Everyone on this board will continue to do like he always did (perpetual passport carriers, no documenhts at all, copy of passport etc...) and no amount of arguments will convince them otherwise.

- The big factor -> whatever the law says -> the real law is the MIB corporation if you happen to deal with it...and whatever they decide will be fine on the spot.

Good day to all :beer:

That's the way I understand it from my lawyer as well (as I've posted many times, trying to give the knowledge of many $$$ spent to the rest of y'all). Practically, a Thai-issued ID (DL, WP, tax book, etc) are OK too per my copper friends, but discretionary.

As with any law, ignore/break it at your own risk. Just don't bitch and say you weren't told! I'll be the first one to laugh and say som nam na!

Cheers,

SD

Archived