How He Got Elected

youngfarang

In a 'normal' year, Republicans would not have let Palin close to a ticket. I think the reason why the base was so excited about her was because they had nothing. They clung to anything, even a poor candidate.

I can understand not admitting that to Dems or the general public but behind closed doors they really should be embarassed about Palin. Palin shows how desperate the party is nowadays.

It wasn't about experience either, it was about substance.

Obama was chided about his lack of experience early on. Fair assessment. However, as he became known, that tactic wasn't going to work with the general public because he came across as not only charasmatic but highly intelligent, confident and a grasp of the major international and domestic issues. It became obvious he had the nerve and intelligence to do the job, it was just ideology that was left.

The press would LOVE for Palin to be the standard bearer. There is still a certain amount of caution with regards to criticizing Obama. Palin though seems open territory. She's a comedian's dream.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couldn't have been many.

TH

SLAVERY in PENNSYLVANIA

There were 795 slaves in Pennsylvania in 1810, 211 in 1820, 403 or 386 (the count was disputed) in 1830, and 64 in 1840, the last year census worksheets in the northern states included a line for "slaves." The definition of slavery seems to have blurred in the later counts. The two "slaves" counted in 1840 in Lancaster County turned out to have been freed years before, though they were still living on the properties of their former masters.

The press would LOVE for Palin to be the standard bearer. There is still a certain amount of caution with regards to criticizing Obama. Palin though seems open territory. She's a comedian's dream.

I'm hoping/praying (so to speak) for a Palin-Jindahl ticket from the GOPers in 2012. Those two nut jobs would cement the death of the party; and maybe the real Republicans could shed the fundie wackos and start a real conservative party in the likes of Ike or even Goldwater.

Cheers,

SD

Couldn't have been many.

TH

SLAVERY in PENNSYLVANIA

There were 795 slaves in Pennsylvania in 1810, 211 in 1820, 403 or 386 (the count was disputed) in 1830, and 64 in 1840, the last year census worksheets in the northern states included a line for "slaves." The definition of slavery seems to have blurred in the later counts. The two "slaves" counted in 1840 in Lancaster County turned out to have been freed years before, though they were still living on the properties of their former masters.

Gggg granddad had something like 4 slaves in 1840, plus others listed as "free colored". Probably the reaon some were still slaves is because of when they were born. People were still legally slaves until they turned 28!

p.s. Not many know about this:

<< New Jersey, like other northern states, replaced outright slavery with stricter controls of free blacks. Black voters were disenfranchsed by an 1807 state law that limited the franchise to "free, white male" citizens.

In 1830, of the 3,568 Northern blacks who remained slaves, more than two-thirds were in New Jersey. The institution was rapidly declining in the 1830s, but not until 1846 was slavery permanently abolished. At the start of the Civil War, New Jersey citizens owned 18 "apprentices for life" (the federal census listed them as "slaves") -- legal slaves by any name.

"New Jersey's emancipation law carefully protected existing property rights. No one lost a single slave, and the right to the services of young Negroes was fully protected. Moreover, the courts ruled that the right was a 'species of property,' transferable 'from one citizen to another like other personal property.' Thus "New Jersey retained slaveholding without technically remaining a slave state." >>

I'm hoping/praying (so to speak) for a Palin-Jindahl ticket from the GOPers in 2012. Those two nut jobs would cement the death of the party; and maybe the real Republicans could shed the fundie wackos and start a real conservative party in the likes of Ike or even Goldwater.

Cheers' date='

SD[/quote']

The Wild Wordsmith of Wasilla :)

[...]

What on earth are our underpaid teachers, laboring in the vineyards of education, supposed to tell students about the following sentence (by Palin), committed by the [color:red]serial syntax-killer from Wasilla High[/color] and gleaned by my colleague Maureen Dowd for preservation for those who ask, â??How was it she talked?â?Â

My concern has been the atrocities there in Darfur and the relevance to me with that issue as we spoke about Africa and some of the countries there that were kind of the people succumbing to the dictators and the corruption of some collapsed governments on the continent, the relevance was Alaskaâ??s investment in Darfur with some of our permanent fund dollars.

And, she concluded, â??never, ever did I talk about, well, gee, is it a country or a continent, I just donâ??t know about this issue.â?Â

Itâ??s admittedly a rare gift to produce a paragraph in which whole clumps of words could be removed without noticeably affecting the sense, if any.

Matt Lauer asked her about her daughterâ??s pregnancy and what went into the decision about how to handle it. Her â??answerâ? did not contain the words â??daughter,â? â??pregnancy,â? â??what to do about itâ? or, in fact, any two consecutive words related to Lauerâ??s query.

Link

Palin reminds me of an evil bitch I used to work under. Small company. I was a young and inexperienced 'assistant marketing manager' and we were getting along fine until they hired a real 'marketing manager' in this woman.

She only interested herself in the advertising end of marketing (being wined and dined), while I did most everything else. She really knew nothing about the business - background in sales, which led co-workers to suspect she was sucking someone's dick.

Her 'in-office' time was reserved for back biting and cat fighting with everyone in the sales organization, none of whom reported to her directly, which was a bit divisive.

When the big 4 auditor arrived, it was like The Inquisition (they'd been tipped off about her and had it in for her) and when she realized her Palinisms weren't going very far, she deferred all questions to me. I couldn't (nor did I want to) protect her; the best I could do was to answer questions honestly.

Never having been under that kind of pressure from questioning before, at my low salary, I literally puked at the table while on a quiet lunch break, between sessions, with my wife.

Because of that inquiry, I gained big points with management who previously hated me by association with her and our Director.

But our marketing office was still shut down a year later and the company stopped operations not long after due to the 97 Asian financial crisis.

When I first saw Palin's brand of idiot-speak on television, it struck a chord and I immediately disliked her on a personal level because of this one other aspiring, hateful person who couldn't put a sentence together to save her life.

We were owned by a Scot who had a sugar plantation on my mom's side. My dad's name came about from a taboo marriage between a Welsh immigrant (one of two brothers who emigrated) and our ggg grandmother a freed slave. His family disowned him. Family story is that she was descended from Ashanti (Ghana) tribesmen.

The other brother disowned him.

My aunt said she was at an estate sale here years ago and struck up a conversation with a woman. Somehow the conversation got into maiden names and they both had the same maiden name. This lady, who was white, said the family story was that two brothers from Wales left there, her ancestor's brother married a black woman and was disowned! They became fast friends and the lady introduced her at parties as her cousin...lol!

The chances of having the same family story is amazing.

Fascinating stuff to me. May do some more in depth research one of these days.

If you need some tips, let me know. Sounds like fun.

I met a woman whose great grandfather left Alabama after the WBTS. He settled in Mississippi and never said anything about his family. She started doing genealogy and found out why. His brothers had all fought for the South, but he had joined the Union Army. His brothers never spoke to him again. After about 130 years, the two branches of the family finally met and became friends again.

Archived