GM soon bankrupt

elef

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably started it themselves so they can get concessions from the unions or better yet, have some judge throw out the contracts after they file.

Then after not having to pay their debts for the period of bankruptcy, they'll have enough money when they emerge to give themselves HUGE bonuses for guiding the company back to solvency. :thumbdown:

My initial reaction was, 'gotta save them.' Not only for the jobs, but at one time the industry was important to national security, though I suppose that aspect is largely irrelevant now.

Now I'm thinking we'd be throwing the money down the tubes because I can't even remember the last time the big 3 has done anything right. Giving the people what they need (huge gas guzzlers) for the last decade when everyone else knew better even had my simple mind wondering what they were thinking. If there's a light at the end of the tunnel, I can understand saving them, but they're not showing us any.

Meanwhile, imports are hurting too.

Link

.. Giving the people what they need (huge gas guzzlers) for the last decade when everyone else knew better even had my simple mind wondering what they were thinking. ..

But isn't their job to make cars that people will buy? Is it their responsibility to make cars that may be the right thing to do, but people donâ??t want?

:dunno:

TH

The best selling vehicle in the US for the past 30 years is the Ford F-series truck, with over 1M units. GM's C-K trucks very close behind, followed by Dodge Ram trucks at ~550k units. The most popular car is only ~400k units...

Seems the market is speaking, and has been for donkey's years.

The Big 3's problem is healthcare and legacy costs that the non-US companies do not have. Foreign companies also get heaps of R&D money from their own governments, whereas the US does not fund its auto industry. Not to mention that all other countries have universal healthcare and most have some type of EPF plan for retirement that gives one more than our SSI, so our auto industry has a great deal more out of pocket costs than their competitors.

Union assembly worker wages are down to $14/hr to start (up to a max of ~$22) with no pension benefits and mediocre healthcare package. The middle class steaming full speed in reverse...is that what we want for our country?

Cheers,

SD

Guest lazyphil

i always dreamed of owning a chevy muscle car, but hey we now for the first time ever have chevy imports for the uk market (rhd) in the shape of a puny 1.1 litre model. it just isn't cricket!

When you think of Pontiac you think of big cars with big engines. But they also used to make something called a Firefly! Pontiac Firefly. WTF!!

Imagine having one and talking to another bloke when the conversation turns to cars.

Bloke: "So, what do you drive."

You: "A Pontiac."

Bloke (thinking Pontiac Transam): "Wow, a Pontiac. What Model?"

You: "Firefly."

Bloke: :rotl:

Archived