GM soon bankrupt

elef

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So...because of high costs we should continue to make nothing but trucks and SUVs? The Japanese have been kicking our butts for decades with economy cars (seems to me we waved the white flag there a long, long time ago) and now they're right up there with the Germans in luxury cars and what have we got? The Escalade?

I'm all for saving the industry, but I think Detroit has been force feeding us a load of crap products for as far as I can remember. If they built a product that would justify subsidization, and that IS the market speaking, then maybe the execs would be better understood on Capitol Hill.

PS. Can you tell me why ALL television pick-up truck ads (US and foreign) ALWAYS have deep, deep voice-overs? Bothers the fuck out of me. I'd like to hear, for once, a gay voice doing a truck commercial. :)

But seriously, my experience of the US auto industry is the advertising I see, and that is why I think their efforts have been misdirected for a long time by ignoring the competition and focusing only on what they do best rather than competing.

I'm just saying that people are buying what they want. There is plenty of capacity for small cars, but people buy the trucks, so that's what Detroit makes. Free-marketeers should be cheering (of course, we won't talk about the GOP tax rebate for buyers of trucks -- why not small cars instead?).

The issue is not sales. It is US policies for the past thirty+ years that are making our companies uncompetitive. We as a country need to decide NOW what to do about it. This is a lot bigger than the auto industry. But the auto industry employs 10% of the middle class workforce. Do you really think that any country could absorb that kind of job loss?

Cheers,

SD

For the most part, people buy Toyotas and Hondas, and that's not what Detroit makes. I think that's the problem.

I do understand the competitive disadvantages in as much as the airlines have similar problems. And I don't want to see the job loss, but if we can't produce the product and don't even try, why sustain the industry?

Edit: BTW, as you know, foreign companies assemble cars in the US to reduce costs. :dunno:

Archived