PAD closes Suvarnabhumi

waerth

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
no, the pad does not "want to straighten out government", it wants to replace the government with a mostly appointed one (with, naturally, the appointees coming from among their supporters) and do away with proportional representation. as proper bangkok bmw drivers they don't want the isaan yokels to have a voice...

please mow these pad farts down...please...

Erm as I see it the PAD want to INTRODUCE proportional represenetation as they think that the people in the villages are too stupid to mark a X in a box. In essence they want to remove the "one man one vote" system.

They have not asked that any PAD members become polticians although given the chance I am sure they would take the offer.

Its pathetic that so few people who truly DO NOT represent what the general public want are causing longterm chaos.

It will be a mistake for the army to assume martial law, surely Somchai has to force the police to wade in.

it's weird how some continue to see the world as 1 dimensional or through those rose tinted glasses :)

there really is no proper solution to this complex 'mess' which has been building up over 10++ years since the last major 'confrontation' of interests as we now face.

even if the king should step in with a remark or 2 (taking sides) there really isn't anyone obvious to side with say in the name of 'democrazy'.

so basically a house resolution or a coup is needed to even consider 'trying to move on', restore order etc...

On the contrary I understand the situation as much as anyone, however, what the PAD are calling for is unrealistic. If the Government did resign then we are back to square, i.e. military coups, new elections etc. Democracy isnt perfect and you cannot please all the people all the time. Please consider that the PAD haven't even given the government a chance to prove themselves (well Somchai anyhow), IMHO this is more to do with removing Somchai and his links to Thaksin from power - in which case its a personal issue and certinaly not a cause for civic unrest.

All politicians are corrupt, it doesn't matter which countries government you care to examine, however the PAD are asking for something that is unrealistic and by taking the action they have they face alienating the populace, destroying the image of Thailand globally and taking the country back 5 years.

You also have to remember the PAD are not unconnected in the higher echeloens there are plenty of people in the opposing parties and in the military who have been supporting them from a distance all along and would be happy for them to suceed..

I see four possible outcomes

1) Somchai resigns - PAD not happy as the current government will remain in power.

2) The military intervene - PAD happy but this does nothing for Thailand, a case of 1 step forward 3 steps back.

3) Somchai calls in the police - probably a bad move as there's no guarntee that they will support thus him undermining his position. Even if they do then there is guaranteed bloodshed.

4) [edited - Mod3] intervenes - could ease the tension but unlikely to happen

Ultimately Somchai is playing from a very weak hand and my personal opinion is that he should step down. At least that would go someway to appease the PAD.

chealsea,

I must say your 4 possible scenarious cover the situation well.

On PAD in line with what Faustian said although their means may be way over the top and causing severe consequences for Thailand aka 1 step fw 3 back I just don't see any way out until this very lame duck PM and government budge a bit.

Hell don't give that Somchai need more time to prove himself LOL. He had plenty of time to show his colors and capabilities and it's far from impressive!

Option 3: If the police intervenes using force -> there are no garantees the army will not step in if there are too many dead...

police shooting PAd -> army shooting police...but I think the police knows this very well (including high ranking police friends of Mr T)

Archived