Do PAD Deserve Praise?

bust

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that far from Ngamwongwan. In my old neighbourhood we used to hear gunfire from Army training ranges though.

Getting interesting. From The Nation:

The Metropolitan Police Bureau issued its first emergency statement Friday, asking protesters to leave the Don Muang Airport immediately.

And:

At 6:55 pm Friday, police equipped with SK automatic rifles were deployed to block a main road to the Suvarnahbhumi International Airport.

Police set up a road block on the Lard Krabang- Suvarnabhumi Road and did not allow any vehicle to pass through.

-> PAD did not kill 10 people -> I seem to remember the first ones who tried violence were the police and the UDD....

(not that it justifies the PAD retorting with equally violent methods)

Flashermac: I really hope you have flashbacks (or auditive disfunctions -> I happen to mistake a noise for an automatic weapon's burst -> and I have been on a frontline for far less time than you)

Because I don't want to imagine the police firing with automatic weapons at a crow of x thousand Thai people

The article from The Economist does an excellent job of summing up the situation.

The courts, which seem to have been fast-tracking cases against Mr Thaksin and his allies while soft-pedalling on the PAD, may soon dissolve the PPP for alleged vote-buying in last Decemberâ??s election. But Mr Thaksin already has a third party, Puea Thai, to take its place, with a cousin reportedly lined up to lead it. If there is an election now and it is fair, the Thaksinites seem likely to win it.

And we heard what the lady from Soi 7 said. The representatives from Issan that many of us know best, BGs, rarely give a rat's ass about political issues. But now, virtually everyone of them is mad as hell at PAD.

Because PAD has pressed this way too far, I think it is now even more likely that the Thaksinites would win a fair election. Which means the only alternative is a military coup - something PAD expressly advocates - and we saw how bad the last militarily appointed government was.

Just to give you a flavor of what to expect, it was the militarily appointed government that:

- Tried to revise the Foreign Business Act (FBA) by essentially retroactively criminalizing (making illegal) foreign controlled businesses here. If that group gets back in power, they will probably try again to force foreign business out of Thailand.

- Passed a new work permit law that increases the maximum penalty for work permit violations from three months imprisonment to five years imprisonment. The new work permit law also establishes a deportation fund. Employers are supposed to deduct money from the wages paid to foreigners and remit it to his deportation fund which be used to fund more aggressive enforcement of work permit laws and the deportation of foreigners. The only reason this is not happening now is because the current, elected government has declined to enact the necessary regulations for the deportation fund. They realize what a disaster it is.

- Passed the Alcoholic Beverages Control Act, which essentially provides that any depiction of an alcoholic beverage (even in a bar) is illegal.

And PAD leader Sondhi certainly has no soft heart for foreigners. He is a staunch anti-foreign Thai nationalist with a strong grude against foreignors because of past business failures which he blames on foreignors.

Does PAD deserve praise - no; they're dangerous. Far worse than Thaksin.

Maybe Iâ??m over simplifying (and someone correct me if Iâ??m wrong) but from what I have seen PAD is saying they donâ??t want open democracy. They want delegates from certain social and business groups to have the power to elect who they see fit to lead the country.

In other words they are saying dumb farmers should not have a voice in government. :dunno::dunno:

S1

Archived