Oriental Resort Kanchanaburi

buffalo_bill

Gentlemen ,

for entirely tecnical reasons I might feel tempted to spend a few days out of town later this month . I do not wish to go too far away and further do not want to head for Hua Hin because the mission is one of the somewhat secretive type . Thoughtful research made me come across the area of Kanchanaburi where again I investigated the hotel offers and stopped by a property called Oriental Resort . Sounds great and looks even greater . A semi-jungle place where good old BuBi might be safe from disturbances of the serious kind . Question : does the esteemed community know the place or is BuBi again the fearless pioneer ?

Cordially

Further details : http://www.orientalkwai.com/

nothing to do with THE Oriental, BuBi!

what "activiteiten" (nederlands??) are you up to, fearless pioneer?

sorry have stayed a couple of time in that area but never came across this one.

don't forget to go with Nok on one of the famous Karaoke and Disco boats! she will enjoy it!

I know it has nothing to do with the riverlodge , what I am after is free standing bungalows and a restaurant by the river . Unusually enough the owners seem to be Thai / Dutch with the male part of it Thai . Do you think she met him in a , in a , how shall I say aaarrggg , well a boys club ??

Uitsmijter for breakfast , why not .

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately it was fully booked and I decided for a place called Felix Hotel . But I visited the Oriental Resort and may confirm it is a wonderful place to spend a weekend . Maybe a bit far from the city but on the other hand , your missus will never find you there . Dead quiet and discreet .

No idea why so many people are attracted by Kanchanaburi and/or the River Kwai thing . The only interesting spots are the two museums , the Thai-run war museum is a gem . Felix hotel is a huge resort targeting on conventions . The rooms towards the river first floor are nice , price 3600 plus . Not bad but I would not go there again and instead choose one of the small places by the river , plenty available .

Kanchanaburi/River Kwai thing: you have to leave the tourist ridden area around the River Kwai Bridge; then you see the beautiful landscape; djungles, mountains, waterfalls, lakes etc. one of the most beautiful province in Thailand IMHO!

Felix is not worth the price! stay at Duanchai (close to Felix) or Siam Buri (far in the djungle at a smaller river)

I thought HeartThais was talking about Kanchanaburi city which is not worth anything . Hellfire pass was too far to go , I am sure the area has a lot to offer but that was not the purpose of the trip . :shhh:

The railway museum made me be aware again that we are blessed by living in times of peace unless Bush and Cheney are around . A big number of good people had to die for nothing , what a shame .

The Thai war museum is TIT under full throttle . One floor they dedicated to wall painted portraits of the last 20 Miss Thailand , you laugh your arse off . The next building shows a hand painted Thaksin and so forth . The exhibits which they obviously did in the beginning are now covered by centimeters of spider-webs and dust , nobody cares . If you are interested in tape recorders, the war museum is your thing .They show plenty . The war museum shows eventually everything they could find , including a huge lizzard living under a steam locomotive in the yard . Five star entertainment .

Archived