Treating newbies

khunsanuk

Hi,

"I've noticed that there are several, on both sides of the political spectrum, who seem to do as they please with out fear of retribution."

I think a large part of this is probably due to moderation, or rather lack thereof, in that forum. I have to admit that I read only a small part of the posts in that forum.

Maybe one way of dealing with the forum is to make it clear there is no moderation and restrict it to people with at least a certain number of posts (if this is possible, I'd have to check).

Sanuk!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KS that would be a good solution.

You might actually want to move the Board Bar and non-Thailand news section into a seperate board section and call it:

"Unmoderated zone" enter at your own peril.

And do not moderate it. Just ban users whom take it to far like posting personal details of another person in that section.

KS,

letting N00Bs post only in the introduction for a few weeks is a "No Go" someone with an immenent heartache can't wait that long.

The Webmaster boards where I posted ages ago required approval from an admin and I think that is the way to go. Everyone that comes through to the "lions" we know got your blessings and everyone whos still mistreating the n00b shall receive a spanking for violating the rules. You are on the puter a lot so the waiting period wont be that long.

The thing about rules is that they suck and often piss off the old hands, however a strict hand on a couple of things for a more lively board won't hurt. Last time I checked we all been grown ups, maybe, just maybe it is time to behave as ones.

Hi,

"letting N00Bs post only in the introduction for a few weeks is a "No Go" someone with an immenent heartache can't wait that long."

Exactly what I just explained to CTO over the phone.

"The Webmaster boards where I posted ages ago required approval from an admin and I think that is the way to go."

Sorry, but I don't think this will work. Me having to give approval will not make any difference in weeding out the trolls as it often isn't until after they start posting that we spot them.

I personally would also feel a bit insulted if I would have to ask permission to start posting on a message board.

"The thing about rules is that they suck and often piss off the old hands, however a strict hand on a couple of things for a more lively board won't hurt."

Right again, and to be honest I have been a bit more relaxed (lax?) lately. Part of this is due to beginning to lose interest a bit. The board is making me virtually no money whatsoever, yet does take up a couple of hours a day. And on occasion give me headaches as well :(

The flipside, and reason why I haven't chucked it all in, is that there are also a lot of genuinely nice people on this board, many of whom have become friends. The board, and more importantly the people posting on it, have also seen me through some rough times over the years.

Wouldn't a magic wand be kinda nice? :)

Sanuk!

IMO hunting 'trolls' is the most boring & risky exercise for this very board :(

Just keep it simple & stop the guessing (leave it entirely to the mods or PM them if you must) & treat every single new poster as a NEW POSTER regardless if it's the same IP/person behind it.

Simply ban him/her (again) if they break the rules & if they don't well then they're a great addition to the board I guess :)

I agree, it is pointless and if you can't hold back from plowing out you probably have bigger problems as a troll. Many people here know each other from meetings, this has made it nearly impossible for some people to post embarassing stuff, for that matter an alt account might not be the worst thing, having said that most people know each other so well that they would spot it anyways. I remember a poster who left here and clearly reincarnated with a new account, very obvious for me and English isn't even my language. Since meeting people is nice it hasn't helped this board, there are alliances, and there is hesitation as I said above. As long this board keeps a friendly tone I am sure the Newbies (which could be experienced expats) will post more frequently! Otherwise I still have 2 embarassing stories on hold :-)

Archived