Treating newbies

khunsanuk

Hi,

A recent post by a new poster is the reason for me raising this issue.

I am worried that we may be too quick to jump on newbies and accusing them of being trolls or reincarnations of previously banned users. Whether or not banphe is frede is irrelevant to the issue.

On the one hand we need new users, but on the other hand we don't need banned users continually re-signing up.

Frankly I do not know what the answer is, but maybe we could start by not immediately accusing a person of being a troll/previously banned user. It would probably be better to just not reply if you suspect a new user to be such and if you'd like PT me with your suspicions.

If the new user really is a troll/previously banned user it is highly likely they will soon out themselves anyway, but at least that way other prospective new users will not get the impression that all new users are pounded upon.

Sanuk!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am worried that we may be too quick to jump on newbies and accusing them of being trolls or reincarnations of previously banned users. Whether or not banphe is frede is irrelevant to the issue.

This has been going for a long time. I have also seen it on other boards. I think the underlying problem is that some board members regard themselves as superior to others and only their opinions count. Unfortunately I see no simple solution to the problem.

regards

ALHOLK

All true, but the real issue IS that banned posters do return. Moreso than new guys show up. It is obvious, and impossible *not* to call them out on it IMHO.

I don't know the answer.

Cheers,

SD

I returned when I was banned but only so I could read my private messages. I didn't post under my new handle. As I said, I too don't know the answer, maybe it is to give new posters the benefit of the doubt. If a returning banned poster is dumb enough to post under the same IP number KS can sort that out real quick. Asking a stupid question as a newbie isn't the same as being a troll. Perhaps a part of the answer is to be a little more tolerant to diverging opinions. After all hiding your IP number isn't difficult. Even hiding your MAC address is possible.

regards

ALHOLK

IMHO it really depends how a new poster starts; many get a good and encouraging welcome.

Banphe (whether he is frede or not) certainly wanted to provocate with his posts; so nobody should be wondering if other posters start playing hardball

I would say to give every newbie a few posts to settle in this board.

As I wrote a few times already, I have the strong impression that the spirit of this board is deteriorating. It was much friendly a few years ago.

I like strong opinions, but recently the attacks became much more personal with terms like troll, liar, retard, e.g..

IMHO KS should give more time outs (a week or so) to those overly aggressive guys like a week or so to those guys, regardless how long or well connected they are to other board members.

Archived