Treating newbies

khunsanuk

All true, but the real issue IS that banned posters do return. Moreso than new guys show up. It is obvious, and impossible *not* to call them out on it IMHO.

That is the fascinating hunger for sensation :-)

A troll can only bite when he gets feeded. If you are certain he is a troll, put him on ignore or simply move on, don't answer, trust me it is possible, YES WE CAN. It is certainly the most effective way to get rid off someone when you completely ignore him. How stupid does it make the troll look like when he comes here to stirr things up and in the end he is the only one boiling because nobody is falling for his crap?!?!? :neener::cussing:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"A troll can only bite when he gets feeded. If you are certain he is a troll, put him on ignore or simply move on, don't answer, trust me it is possible,"

Pretty much what I am suggesting. It isn't perfect and yes, banned users returning IS a problem, but I don't think that jumping on any newbie expected to be such a banned user is the answer to getting rid of them.

Sanuk!

I like newbies

I like trolls to a certain extent, if they go overboard, then hit the ban~again button

but we tend to compete to demonstrate who's got the best troll-alert-radar

perhaps we let them hang themselves despite the fun and sport of troll baiting and detection

JMHO

Coss

(not a reply to Coss, but a quick reply)

How about we all leave the identification and handling of trolls and repeat banned offenders to KS and his mods?

And how about we all start writing and posting things about Thailand? Might make the site more interesting and inviting for newbies and others to join in. I see more posts in the fucking World News/Non-Thailand News forum than damned near any other forum here. The site is turning away from what it was intended for, the posting of interesting and useful, amusing, things about Thailand, all things about Thailand. There is little of that being posted here really. It is mostly insider joking, world news threads and political bullshit one can read and post on many other sites. Where's the new THAILAND content? It is rarely being posted here. We need new blood, and the site is seeming to not want to invite people in in a welcoming way but is becoming an insiders group with little new info and posts about Thailand. Also the earlier US Election threads have taken the nastiness that occurred there into many other areas now. IGNORE THE TROLLS TOTALLY!!! Get out of the World News forum and post something interesting about Thailand. And, ignore the fucking trolls... completely. Let KS and the mods handle them. If you have a problem or suspect someone is a returned banned troll then send KS or the mods a PM... and, IGNORE the trolls and quit feeding them. They'll soon get bored and go away. DO not interact with them in any way! Ignore their posts, ignore their replies, ignore their PMs.

JMHO.

Cent

p.s. And post something about Thailand and not the fucking US or Isreal or some news item that really does not belong here, imo. Personally I'd ditch the world news forum completely. Has nothing to do about Thailand, which is supposed to be the main focus of this site.

Is there such a thing as PC on a web board :dunno: I would guess not.

banphe posted for a reaction and got one. If he didn't like the reaction he got....tough.

It amazes me how repeat offenders always complain about their treatment when most of the time they post for a reaction.

Go figure

THing is Bhanpe posted two posts so opposite in style to each other it was glaring.

I wonder - how many newbies sign up AND POST Vs returning posters?

I am guessing posting newnies are about 10% of "newbie" posters the other 90% are returning banned members.

And that's the problem - we jump on newbies - but I am thinking 9 times out of 10 we are guessing right it's a banned poster.

I know this isn;t a answer - just explaining why people are quick to shoot.

Maybe limiting newbies to posting in introductions only but letting them read for the other stuff for a few weeks?

(not a reply to Coss, but a quick reply)

How about we all leave the identification and handling of trolls and repeat banned offenders to KS and his mods?

And how about we all start writing and posting things about Thailand? Might make the site more interesting and inviting for newbies and others to join in. I see more posts in the fucking World News/Non-Thailand News forum than damned near any other forum here. The site is turning away from what it was intended for, the posting of interesting and useful, amusing, things about Thailand, all things about Thailand. There is little of that being posted here really. It is mostly insider joking, world news threads and political bullshit one can read and post on many other sites. Where's the new THAILAND content? It is rarely being posted here. We need new blood, and the site is seeming to not want to invite people in in a welcoming way but is becoming an insiders group with little new info and posts about Thailand. Also the earlier US Election threads have taken the nastiness that occurred there into many other areas now. IGNORE THE TROLLS TOTALLY!!! Get out of the World News forum and post something interesting about Thailand. And, ignore the fucking trolls... completely. Let KS and the mods handle them. If you have a problem or suspect someone is a returned banned troll then send KS or the mods a PM... and, IGNORE the trolls and quit feeding them. They'll soon get bored and go away. DO not interact with them in any way! Ignore their posts, ignore their replies, ignore their PMs.

JMHO.

Cent

p.s. And post something about Thailand and not the fucking US or Isreal or some news item that really does not belong here, imo. Personally I'd ditch the world news forum completely. Has nothing to do about Thailand, which is supposed to be the main focus of this site.

I must admit that one of the things that attracted me to this board when I first looked at it was that it allowed discussion of "non-Thailand News", and I'd hate to see that change.

While I've noticed the moderation style is very open perhaps a stricter role could be take with abusive posters in this sub forum. I've noticed that there are several, on both sides of the political spectrum, who seem to do as they please with out fear of retribution.

Hi,

"THing is Bhanpe posted two posts so opposite in style to each other it was glaring."

Banphe was just an example. A side effect of such treatment is also that other prospective new members may read that thread and immediately decide not to bother signing up to a board where they are treated like the that.

"I wonder - how many newbies sign up AND POST Vs returning posters?"

No way for anyone, certainly normal members, to know this. So, how about we just assume they are ALL newbies?

The Mods and I will deal with the trolls / returning posters.

"Maybe limiting newbies to posting in introductions only but letting them read for the other stuff for a few weeks?"

Not really sure if this will be beneficial or detrimental to new sign ups.

Sanuk!

Archived