Couple: We didn't notice $175,000 bank error

Steve

A Pennsylvania couple is behind bars after police say they failed to call the bank when a glitch put an extra $175,000 in their account.

Authorities say 50-year-old Randy Pratt and 36-year-old Melissa Pratt instead withdrew the money, quit their jobs and moved to Florida.

They were buying a house in the Orlando area when the mistake was traced.

The two were arraigned Tuesday on theft and other charges and jailed in lieu of $100,000 bail. A public defender was being assigned.

A $1,772.50 deposit showed up in their FNB Bank account last summer as $177,250.

Police say Melissa Pratt said her husband, a roofing installer, often got large checks and she wasn't aware of any error.

Link

I'd say it is theft, since they knew it wasn't supposed to be there. Nevertheless, why isn't the bank at least partly responsible since it made the screw up?

About 10 years ago there was an ex-GI in the news who got himself in deep doodoo when he received a seperation check for $1,600,000 deposited in his bank account. He was a staff sergeant taking an early out (instead of staying to retire) and was supposed to get $16,000. Somebody goofed up with the decimal points. The guy went wild, buying expensive cars, giving money to his friends etc ... and generally just hanging around Detroit. When he was arrested, he meekly replied: "I thought it was mine." Didn't keep him from getting arrested.

Hi,

Why is this theft? The money was in THEIR account.

Sanuk!

I would not think this is criminal. Civil, YES.

If I accidentially give you $10,000.00, I find it hard to believe I could accuse you of a crime and have you arrested because no crime was committed. I would ask you for the money back and if you didn't give it back, I would pursue it as a civil problem.

Years ago I quit a job and was expecting a pay out. Went to the bank to see how much was deposited and had 5 times the amount expected (enough for a few trips to Thailand)

I said there must be a mistake as I wasn't expecting this amount a smaller amount from quitting my job.

They said the error was with my employer.

Now the Chief Accountant is a mate of mine - and as much as I wanted the $'s I knew he cold get the sack - so I called him - said I have too much $ from you.

He went off, checked, came back said we paid that last week not today - and nothing since - "run" was his advice as he was in the clear ;)

I said to the bank is this two deposits or one - two deposits one last week matching what I was paid and this second "mystery" deposit.

Again I said not my money.

They said it was - I did my hardest to be honest!

I said close the account then and took the lot - never been in a National Bank again :)

Archived