Australian author sentenced to three years in jail on lese majesty charge

Mentors

OK cent. One more kick at the can. My problem with all this is that I don't trust the motives of the writers. Maybe some are motivated by a passionate desire to see free discussion in Thailand but I think there are just as many who do it to stir things up. I don't understand why it is such a big deal for Westerners.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What you basically are saying, chuckwow is that the Thais are not only instinctively willing but also find it being in their objective national interestto isolate themselves from the international flow of ideas, opinions, constructive or not so constructive criticism, and face the consequences in the form of slower growth of investment, welfare, progress of society etc. And not least risk considerable loss of face internationally.

I am not so sure that the Thais, when they have overcome their initial emotional reflexes and their their frontal lobes start to kick in, are really willing to isolate themselves to such an extent. There is, as Gadfly said earlier, an internationally sensitive (however strongly royalist) middle class which now is in the political forefront and the country is headed by an internationally savy prime minister. The Thai middle class might simply underestimate the consequenses of blocking the international flow of opinions and ideas.

Which by the way does not make me symphatize much more with a neurotic attention seeker from Australia.

However, seeing this issue in the perspective of the grave domestic political threat facing Thailand you might have a point. A friend and previous collegue of mine recently had in debth talks, not only with high level officials here, but also with some insightful independant observers who projected a rather bleak view of Thailand's political future. They were downright pessimistic. Never, they said, had they experienced such a deep division within the country, not only between the rural poor and the urban elite, but also between the central and the south. And we all can identify the unifying factor in this polarity and we all sense the danger of explosion when the day of sorrow and grief comes.

Given this drastically increased polarity, it is easier to understand the urge to protect this unifying spirit as much as possible. Not least on the side of the elite classes who experience a heightened awareness of the threat from the masses.

What you basically are saying, chuckwow is that the Thais are not only instinctively willing but also find it being in their objective national interestto isolate themselves from the international flow of ideas, opinions, constructive or not so constructive criticism, and face the consequences in the form of slower growth of investment, welfare, progress of society etc. And not least risk considerable loss of face internationally.

Well I don't like to generalize like that about Thais but they do have a strong xenophobic streak. Perhaps it even trumps 'international loss of face'. That need not be a bad thing. Most nations have sensitive areas when it comes to national pride and the subject under discussion here is a symbol of unity very close to Thai hearts. Of course you'll probably say that the ordinary people are being exploited because they don't all drive BMWs but we all know who really runs Thailand.

There is considerable disunity in the country as you say. Thais would benefit more from calm than from a civil war. That goes for the elite and the ordinary people.

Agreeing with Gadfly by example - the nearest similar law in the west is slander. The person slandered sues for damages.

At that point what was said can be repeated as it has been or is being proved to be false.

Here no one even knows what was said etc.

Here is the quote about Germany Gadfly referred too

"In Germany, they came first for the Communists, And I didnâ??t speak up because I wasnâ??t a Communist;

And then they came for the trade unionists, And I didnâ??t speak up because I wasnâ??t a trade unionist;

And then they came for the Jews, And I didnâ??t speak up because I wasnâ??t a Jew;

And then . . . they came for me . . . And by that time there was no one left to speak up."

Not yet...and if I stay here, never! Could you imagine a white MP here, let alone Prime Minister...It's interesting for me to imagine just how much change would be required here for that to happen...

Anyway, back on topic.... croissants anyone? Why is it difficult to find good croissants outside France? And don't get me started on baguettes!

Fantastic baguettes in Wiengchan! Many little shops have a sandwich stand out front to make extra money. The baguette is sliced in half, then toasted over a charcoal grill. It's next filled with your choice . I love the cheese and veggie sangwidges. Order a big Beer Lao and you have a nice lunch for under 100 baht. :)

I was in Wiengchan the first time in late 1974, under the coaltion government (rightwing, neutralists, commies). Back then the Laos often had hot Ovaltine and a baguette for breakfast. Nowadays it's hot coffee and a baguette. That seems to be almost the extent of the French influence.

Archived