Banks sought foreign workers

cavanami

I agree with your obsservation, rchapstick but I don't think the problem is lack of investment. There is a huge lack of interest in technical and math-heavy fields in the US. Everyone wants to be a creative, not a quant.

I view the finance mess as evidence of the gap. Since the introduction of derivatives and structured products, finance has gotten more and more complex mathematically. You need a graduate degree in math to simply understand, let alone safely design, some of it. And yet, the executives are still being recruited out of MBA programs and MBAs tend not to be the smartest people in the world compared to other people with grad degrees. It's like asking MBAs to make important airplane design decisions.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True. And this complexity makes it all too easy to game the system. I believe we need to throttle back some of these instruments via proper regulation. The Republicans "voodoo economics" have proven time & again that having the fox guard the hen house is not such a good idea.

Cheers,

SD

There is no logic with the US foreign worker system...

OH is right saying that many sectors don't need foreign workers simply because there are enough qualified US citizens who can do the job.

On the other hand, a "not too insignificant" US multinational declined my job application (I was the only candidate too) simply because it would take far too long to go through the visa-green card thing.

-> and all in all in my little "niche field" there are not that many people who are fully trilingual French-English-Spanish + specific technical skills + professional experience.

So all in all it is a bit absurd

Why? It is not rocket science, and the key phrase/sentence is right there in the frakin' article:

"Foreigners are attractive hires because companies have found ways to pay them less than American workers.

That is it, and what it is all about most of the time. Hire the foreigner because you can pay them less. There are ways to circumvent the labor laws that the large corporations have figured out to do this legally. Yet they never figure on paying the CEOs less do they?

Big business in America has been fucking the American people/employees for decades, with the help of their paid for puppy dogs in the congress and the senate. And the hourly and salary employees and middle class citizens bend over and keep taking it in the ass like they enjoy enormously a good anal fucking. And no one is willing to fight back... yet. They are too scared. We'll see though when the bottom arrives. It ain't here yet I think. Hell, it's just now starting to show in Thailand. Long way to go yet, couple/few years at least, before it'll start to get better. It's like the old Lawrence Welk show opening. Fucking bubbles popping everywhere! :)

Companies have already outsourced their R&D.

GE, for one.

The do their R&D in China and have for about 10 years now...because it is cheaper!

GE was world leader in the 50's and 60's with a brilliant think tank in New York, making inventions and getting patent after patent...he comes the new CEO, Jack Welch, sees the money involved in keeping the think tank going, boom-bang-gone. GE slide down hill after that from being leader of the pack to just one of the pack, mostly in the rear of the pack!

Cavanami is right.

Although I must say that more and more big companies are realizing their mistake of having outsourced some of their activities to countries such as China or India...

My company has just fired 6000 people (or was it 8000) but in the meantime they "repatriated" some activities from India, Vietnam and China -> just because India has many qualified engineers, searchers etc...but creativity and outside the box thinking don't exist there.

The day these countries have the same capabilities as we do -> I will be jobless for life

Why? It is not rocket science, and the key phrase/sentence is right there in the frakin' article:

"Foreigners are attractive hires because companies have found ways to pay them less than American workers.

That is it, and what it is all about most of the time. Hire the foreigner because you can pay them less. There are ways to circumvent the labor laws that the large corporations have figured out to do this legally. Yet they never figure on paying the CEOs less do they?

Big business in America has been fucking the American people/employees for decades, with the help of their paid for puppy dogs in the congress and the senate. And the hourly and salary employees and middle class citizens bend over and keep taking it in the ass like they enjoy enormously a good anal fucking. And no one is willing to fight back... yet. They are too scared. We'll see though when the bottom arrives. It ain't here yet I think. Hell, it's just now starting to show in Thailand. Long way to go yet, couple/few years at least, before it'll start to get better. It's like the old Lawrence Welk show opening. Fucking bubbles popping everywhere! :)

Basically, American businesses are not in business to hire Americans they are in business to make money. If they can do both, fine. If something has to give, quess who they don't hire?

In fact, they are publicly traded companies and the stock holders expect them to maximize profits.

Companies do this song and dance about creating american jobs. I'd do, you'd do it too, if you were CEO. However, its profits and revenues that their pay and career are tied to. NOTHING else.

If that means getting some Asian to work for $3 a day to make a Nike shoe instead of $20 an hour in America, guess who wins?

The conflict is that they are taking tax money and asked to make less money by not going overseas for some things like jobs.

What to do?

Archived