drugs and baseball???

Zaad

Yo,

I've read some stories on the use of steroids in the baseball world and I just don't get it. Does one really need a drug to enhance a perfomance in .. baseball? Nothing against the sport, but IMO incomparable to the likes of swimming or cycling which are WAYYYYYYYY tougher and so yes, I'd understand (not condone) the use of drugs in order to compete at top level in a very physically demanding sport like that ... but baseball???? I just don't get it!

Anybody?

:crazy:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strength, I guess. I don't know how strength equates to bat speed, but the most controversial (alleged) users, like Barry Bonds and Mark McGuire, were hitting more and more home runs of monstrous length during the period.*

Endurance wasn't an issue for them, which I think is your point, but pitchers like Roger Clemens were allegedly using them as well.

I think they all had a tailor made program for whatever their specialty was, whether it actually helped or not.

*The specifications of 'hot' baseballs used at the time to make the game more exciting for the fans can also be called into question.

Baseball and basketball were my favorite childhood sports. However, I have pretty much lost interest in baseball because of drug use.

I have never used PEDs but am a sports fan and from what I have read the main benefits of PEDs are especially helpful for older athletes - reduced injury recovery time and enhanced endurance (able to have better, longer workouts thus improving physical ability). Of course, some amount of bulk and strength are added depending upon the PED used.

Barry Bonds is the best example. His performance actually increased after he was 35, when typically players are reaching their final years. If you look at a picture of him early in his career and late in his career, its a joke. Like looking at 2 different people.

I dislike Barry Bonds and all PED users who are basically cheating - but, he made $millions thanks to his use of PEDs, so, I can't say he made a bad personal decision.

I do however hope he ends up doing jail time for perjury.

It's the League and the Team Owners let this stuff go on.

If these managers/executives had any balls, the player caught using drugs would be banned and contract terminated.

Yes, there is personal responsibilty.

But the executives/managers/owners are also to blame.

... I dislike Barry Bonds and all PED users who are basically cheating ...

I do however hope he ends up doing jail time for perjury.

I don't see PED use as "cheating", unfair or anything else negative.

It's only "cheating" because a rule says it is. Let everybody take drugs and it's no longer cheating.

Is it any less "fair" than being born with certain physical differences that might make you the better swimmer/rider/hitter/runner/whatever? Some people have a better trainer. Is that unfair?

Might damage your health? Sure that's a problem, cuz, God knows, boxing/football/baseball/running never damaged anyone's body. Your choice to participate shows that health is NOT your top priority. And besides, IT'S YOUR BODY DO WHAT YOU WANT WITH IT!

But we have to set an example for the children. What exactly is the example? Please... A-Rod, even without the drugs, is a complete asshole.

I think a no-holds-barred, all-out open drug use policy would be perfect for sports. We already have unnatural, almost non-human players being given the highest accolades. Let's go the full route. I don't care what you do to your body, just give me that performance that you're getting paid for. With rule and equipment changes, there are very few fair comparisons to be made in the record books, so that point's moot.

What would be the downside about an open drug use policy in almost all sports?

And don't even get me started on recreational drug use policies for the regular humans.

Just for the record: I don't use alcohol or any other drugs outside of bona fide medical reasons. But that is and should be MY GODDAMN CHOICE, NOT ANYBODY ELSE'S!!

Let everybody take drugs and it's no longer cheating.

Presently, it is cheating. There have to be some rules that ensure fair competition. Consider Antonio Margarito using a substance that made his hand wraps into the equivalent of plaster. He was caught in the preparation for his fight with Shane Mosley. But, how about his fight with Cotto? I think its quite possible Cotto would have won otherwise. Instead, Cotto ended up with his faced busted up and a loss.

However, in this day and age, I think its unrealistic to expect some athletes won't get away with the use of PEDs. So, they have an unfair advantage. Although, I would prefer no one used PEDs, since its going to happen, I agree with you. Make the use of PEDs acceptable but provide medical professionals for application and monitoring of negative side effects.

Yo,

I've read some stories on the use of steroids in the baseball world and I just don't get it. Does one really need a drug to enhance a perfomance in .. baseball? Nothing against the sport, but IMO incomparable to the likes of swimming or cycling which are WAYYYYYYYY tougher and so yes, I'd understand (not condone) the use of drugs in order to compete at top level in a very physically demanding sport like that ... but baseball???? I just don't get it!

Anybody?

:crazy:

A minor league player makes, at most, about $75,000 a year. Most make waaay less.

An league minimum wage major league baseball player makes over $300K.

The highest paid player, Alex Rodriguez, makes about $27 million per year.

And you wonder why someone would take a performance enhancing drug?

It's only "cheating" because a rule says it is. Let everybody take drugs and it's no longer cheating.

Hell yes !!! Let these guys all go the way Lyle Alzado did !!!

Let's dope em all up too !!! That way they'll keep playing with broken arms and legs and will never know the difference. :thumbup:

With heavy sarcasm, I am

HH

P.S. Tough shit if you weren't born with athletic abilities (not you in particular). Life goes on.

Archived