drugs and baseball???

Zaad

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Isn't steroid taking detrimental to arguing with an umpire? With that much larger head, isn't there a greater chance of hitting the ump with the bill of your cap?

Well that, but more likely "roid rage"...which can spill over into one's personal and public life with other detrimental consequences for many people. Not that I would know, but I've heard that excessive abuse of an umpire can most certainly result in raising one's ERA or lowering a BA. :grinyes:

HH

It think baseball players take steroids for two reasons.

For hitters, such as Bonds, it is simply to bulk up and increase strength and bat speed.

Second reason is that the baseball season is a grueling 163 games over about 6 months and they play almost 6 times a week for the entire time. Injuries are very common and there is no time to heal without taking time off, so the answer is to use steroids to cover up the pain and shorten the healing time allowing the player to keep playing. There are lots of players that have been hurt just as they were coming into their prime and never got a second chance, so it is not about not being able to play now (the get paid when on injury reserve), but about keeping the statistics up now for future contract negotiations.

TH

Also, there are millions of dollars at stake. These guys sign contracts worth tens of millions of dollars!

These guys have phenominal hand-eye coordination and hand speed. They can adjust to the increased strength I think. In fact, its obvious they do by the evidence: Mark McGwire, Bonds, Canseco, etc.

Steroids was big in track when I ran and I'd be lying if it didn't cross my mind. Two things kept me from even considering it, first I'd lose my scholorship and second once I heard it made your pee pee shrink that was the deal breaker then and there.

Whether one thinks it should be allowed, using violates the rules everyone agreed to play by. Its an uneven playing field if some violate it.

Sad thing is steroids are now being used on the HS level. There are rapid harmonal changes going on with teen age boys (anyone with teenage sons will swear by that) anyway and to throw in steroids and its a recipe for disaster.

I will say this. Baseball has to shoulder some of the blame. I stopped watching baseball till the world series but I, and millions of others who didn't normally tune in, watched McGwire and Sammy Sosa battle out for Babe Ruth's record.

Baseball made millions from these guys in terms of people coming to the park, tuning in on tv and buying merchandise. They knew or at the very least suspected it but cashed in anyway.

Isn't baseball called the NATIONAL past time? I'd agree that activities, like golf, tennis, fishing, darts, billards, etc., are more suited to having older people take part. I don't see any over fifty football, baseball, hockey or soccer leagues (the exception would be baseball/softball leagues, during which a large amount of beer is drunk on occasion). I do think that golfers and tennis players that are playing at the highest level are playing a sport. Admit it, you don't like golf because it is one of the few sports that have the players enforce the rules of the game on themselves. Referees are only needed to explain the rules, not enforce them.

Archived