drugs and baseball???

Zaad

Isn't baseball called the NATIONAL past time?

That was when it was the most popular. Now its behind the NFL and NBA in popularity although they did get huge crowds last season.

Baseball has become much more global now. Large latino representation from all parts and its now commonplace to see Japanese players when it was a rarity a couple decades ago.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is pretty boring to watch on TV but I've been to a couple of tourements, including the British Open three times, and being a spectator over a four day period (really five or six days if you attend the practice rounds), you can be pretty tired by Sunday, if you show up early in the morning and don't leave until the last golfers are finished (on thursday and friday, that can be 8:30 to 9:00 P.M.). I played a lot in High school but not much in the last 25 years. I am, for the first time in 14 years, looking forward to seeing some baseball games at Royal's statium.

Golf isn't a sport...it's a pasttime, like fishing; An excuse to get away from the house or work and pass the time between beers.

HH

Actually, that is what makes golf such a unique sport. It is the only one with extremely lucrative professional circuits that are played at very high levels, that a regular person can also play and on occasion (usually when the Golf Gods realize you're about to quit :banghead: ) make similar shots that the pros do. Only difference is in the percentages of success.

;)

TH

Call them athletes of not, most pro golfers train like athletes nowadays - it's just not in their interest to bulk up.

I always enjoy attending local tournaments, weekends if it's a muni or Nationwide Tour event, a Friday if it's a PGA event at Riviera, to avoid the big crowds.

The smaller events are actually more fun, just to have a summer stroll in the park with a beer in hand, watch a local kid win a tournament and chat with the neighbors.

Four local kids I followed during junior golf (when my daughter was competing) have their PGA tour cards now. Two of them are rookies, so they rarely get any air time. The other two finished around top 50 on the money list last year, so they're pretty secure.

One of the rookies got an ace at Spyglass last week (enabling him to make the cut), but it wasn't shown due all the cameras were focused on Pebble Beach. Same kid beat Baddelly to win the US Junior Amateur at Pebble on the 18th, years ago.

Still, I enjoy watching the leaderboard on the internet to follow their progress, and I especially like the television coverage, even if I'm not really interested in the personalities, when David Feherty is involved. I think he's the best thing to happen to televised golf in many years.

The coverage shown on TrueSports4 of the European Tour every week is far superior to the PGA coverage. Part of the problem with PGA coverage is there are no commercial breaks, so when the networks goes to break (often) there is 2 minutes or so of mostly scenery. Since TS4 uses the BBC feed for the European Tour, there are no breaks and the continuity is much better.

David Feherty is good and it great to have him back after his accident, but you just cannot beat Gary McCord and his refreshingly asinine comments.

:wanker:

TH

Golf isn't a sport...it's a pasttime, like fishing; An excuse to get away from the house or work and pass the time between beers.

HH

I will have to disagree with everything except the part where you said it's an excuse to get away.

I know it's not really an athletic event but it is a sport. Some people even get paid for fishing and consider that a sport ( not me).

And as far as being a pass-time in-between beers...hell, I do my best golfing while I'm drinking. I think Daly even won the PGA Championship drunk. ;)

The talent level has risen so much in the last couple of generations that some golfers truly to make choices in which sport to pursue. In my day, maybe all I needed was proper teaching at the teen level to have a chance. Not so anymore. Everyone gets that.

Kelley Slater is a 2 handicap in his spare time. Tell me that guy's not an athlete!

I've been golfing on a regular basis (2+ times per week on average) for the last 34 years. I can't get below a 9 handicap. Even at that, I had to work my ass off. The pros really are talented at what they do.

Back on topic a bit (sorry for the hijack) no one has ever, at least that I've heard or read, talked about Tiger and HGH. Look at the guy when he started and look at him now. I know there is such a thing as a gym (I've never been and anyone who's seen me can atest) but his transformation seems a bit incredible. I know no media people will dare to challenge the master of golf but I'd like to see him take some regular tests. I don't really believe he did that all himself.

Archived