New York man charged with beheading his wife

Flashermac

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Of course not all Muslims are like this guy but as Cent points out this had to play a part.

One thing that seems differnent here than England (as well as Europe) is that there seems to a be huge difference in discontent generally speaking between the moslem populations there and here.

I think generally speaking moslems here want to assimilate. The older generation want it both ways. They want to retain customs but also be regarded as 'Americans' by the general population.

Their children especially assimilate to a much higher degree.

I read an article that there are private moslem elementary schools popping up in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles because moslem parents are seeing their children marry non moslems, especially their daughters. The women do not want to marry a fellow moslem guy who will not be as open to women's rights and equality.

They are definitely dating outside their culture (my brother college girlfriend was Persian).

The parents are fearing they are becoming 'too American' culturally.

The community as a whole seems self consciouis about how they are viewed and depicted as well. Hollywood was told prior to 911 by moslem groups that they did not appreciate being portrayed as terrorists. The 2002 movie adaption of the Clancy book 'Sum Of All Fears' had been changed from moslem bad guys to neo Nazis. The movie went into production prior to 911, although I didn't think that would change if had been post 911. Italian Americans did the same in the '70s as well. They complained they were always being depicted as mafioso. (coincidentally the founder of one such group was a mafioso boss of the Columbo family...lol)

England had problems in northern cities with moslems and whites fighting. Not so in America by and large.

England took in a lot of moslems from their former colonies (present day India, Bengladesh, Pakistan). Many unskilled, poor, etc. who didn't settle.

America 'cherry picked' the more desirable moslems and for the most part granted visas to professional, educated moslems. Not many moslems here on the dole. Most are professional or business owners.

I have an English friend whose mother is from Iran. She's from an educated family and has virtually abandoned Islam. Wonder what her family would think? Ah ... just remembered another Brit whose father was from Iran. The son has rejected Islam and is a free thinker. His papa was also well educated. It does happen sometimes - and I think that's the fundies biggest fear.

A Thai friend in the States is from an old Muslim family that settled in LOS in the Ayutthaya period. She's married to an Irish-American Catholc. I saw her one day with a gold cross on her necklace, so I asked what religion she was now. She replied: "Anything I want to be." I've seen her reading Buddhist books as well. That sort of thing could get her killed in some countries.

Seems the converts to Islam in the UK are more radical.

Converts in most religions tend to go overboard to prove how much a "true believer" they've become. I knew a Mormon missionary here years ago who was downright obnoxious with his zealousness. Turned out he'd only been a Mormon a few years. The "elders" raised in the church were usually pretty good guys.

The looney woman in Ohio who was demanding her driving licence photo show her in a burqa was a Muslim convert. :rolleyes:

Murder by Pak TV owner: An honour killing?

Washington: The beheading of 37-year-old Aasiya Hassan by her husband and Pakistani origin American entrepreneur, who is the founder of a US Muslim TV network, has all the markings of an honour killing, psychologists and Islamic experts have said.

Muzzammil Hassan, 44, remains jailed after being charged with the second-degree murder of his wife, whose body was found on Thursday at the office of Bridges TV, their television station in Orchard Park, near Buffalo. Orchard Park Police Chief Andrew Benz said Hassan has not confessed to the crime, despite media reports to the contrary, FOX News reported.

Asked if the murder is being probed as an honour killing, Benz replied, â??Weâ??ve been told that thereâ??s no place for that kind of action in their faith, but I wouldnâ??t say that thereâ??s anything thatâ??s being completely ruled out at this point.â?Â

But psychologists and some American Muslims said the slaying has all the markings of an honor killing. â??The fierce and gruesome nature of this murder signals itâ??s an honour killing. What she did was worthy of capital punishment in his eyes,â? said Dr. Phyllis Chesler, an author and professor of psychology at the Richmond College of the City University of New York.

Following multiple episodes of domestic violence, Aasiya Hassan filed for divorce on February 6 and obtained an order of protection that barred her husband from their home. Chesler, who wrote â??Are Honor Killings Simply Domestic Violence?â? for Middle East Quarterly, said some Muslim men consider divorce a dishonour on their family.

Chesler said honour killings typically are Muslim-on-Muslim crimes and largely involve teenage daughters, young women and, to a lesser extent, wives. Zuhdi Jasser, founder and chairman of the American Islamic Forum for Democracy, agreed with Chesler.

â??It certainly has all the markings of an honour killing. She expressed through the legal system that she was being abused, and at the moment she asked for divorce, sheâ??s not only murdered â?? sheâ??s decapitated,â? FOX News quoted Jasser, as saying.

Muzzammil and Aasiya Hassan founded Bridges TV in November 2004 to counter anti-Islam stereotypes, touting the network as the â??first-ever full-time home for American Muslims,â? according to a 2004 press release.

Link

Guest lazyphil

he proberbly hates main stream american methods/ideals/fashion etc most likely. mini skirts, burgers, shotguns. prefering more traditional methods i.e a cutless of some sort. that said battery acid used by muslims to disfigure their women is a western invention, or did it fact come from mesopotamia, 'the cradle of humanity'.

Archived