New York man charged with beheading his wife

Flashermac

Orchard Park police are investigating a particularly gruesome killing, the beheading of a woman, after her husband â?? an influential member of the local Muslim community â?? reported her death to police Thursday.

Police identified the victim as Aasiya Z. Hassan, 37. Detectives have charged her husband, Muzzammil Hassan, 44, with second-degree murder.

"He came to the police station at 6:20 p.m. and told us that she was dead," Orchard Park Police Chief Andrew Benz said late this morning.

Muzzammil Hassan told police that his wife was at his business, Bridges TV, on Thorn Avenue in the village. Officers went to that location and discovered her body.

Muzzammil Hassan is the founder and chief executive officer of Bridges TV, which he launched in 2004, amid hopes that it would help portray Muslims in a more positive light.

The killing apparently occurred some time late Thursday afternoon. Detectives still are looking for the murder weapon.

"Obviously, this is the worst form of domestic violence possible," Erie County District Attorney Frank A. Sedita III said today.

Authorities say Aasiya Hassan recently had filed for divorce from her husband.

"She had an order of protection that had him out of the home as of Friday the 6th [of February]," Benz said.

Muzzammil Hassan was arraigned before Village Justice Deborah Chimes and sent to the Erie County Holding Center.

Buffalo News

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His lawyer will of course say there are extenuating circumstances such as cultural and religious issues that make this justified in some cases. Sharia law or whatever will be used possibly. Only thing a lawyer has given its open and shut. NY doesn't have the death penalty any more I think, only life. Not 100% sure but I believe so (too lazy to look it up).

His lawyer will try and get him life with possibility of parole instead of the life w/o parole.

I would have wished the death penalty on him but life may be worse despite the tax payer money to keep him there.

It will for sure "portray Muslims in a more positive light"....

How disgusting are some people.

RIP

Indeed, it would appear he failed in his mission...

So, this is a moderate Muslim...heaven help us! (yes I know I'm being obnoxious and those of other creeds/beliefs do such heinous crimes...).

Anyway, his poor wife, may she rest in peace.

Mekong,

I think it is more to the fact he had created a business to show Muslim's in a more positive light, then does something henious like this which smacks of the way many see Muslim men and their strict control and abuse (considered by westerners) of their women which does seem to be a part and parcel of the stricter versions of their religion that so many abhor and think backwards and medievil (sic).

Was a guy in Massachusetts did something similar; cut off his wife's head and actually stuck the head on a sharpened pole in his back yard! He wasn't Muslim, just anther nutcase control freak, and the news of this was very disturbing to many. Gruesome.

But, as the Muslims do seem to have a thing about 'beheading' this was bound to come into play in the reporting of his crime.

Of course not all Muslims are like this guy but as Cent points out this had to play a part.

If a famous TV preacher (some are quite popular in the USA from what I saw/heard) who promotes peace and love happens to do something similar -> people would certainly react in the same way saying:

One more preacher who said "do as I say but don't do as I do"....

Mind you, even small Belgium has a similar problem, one father who lost his daughter to a pedo is now under the media spotlights because it appears he could have benefited a lot from the media exposure in the past to gain financial benefits etc...

(new big cars, nice "government advisor position" requiring a uni degree etc...while he, of course, doesn't have a uni diploma etc...)

If you draw the media's attention because you promote something -> then you can expect them to come back and remind you of your failure if "you fuck it up". (same as for some celebrities)

All in all, sad for his wife

Archived