Aussie dumbass granted Royal pardon

drogon

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The logic behind the Thai lese majeste law is that the top royals are not allowed to respond to any charges or insults. Thus the law is meant to stop such insults. Unfortunately, the politicians use the law for their own purposes.

Where is the law that says the royals can not respond?

<< Laws regarding lèse majesté in Thailand have been in the Thai criminal code since 1908 and have also been enshrined in every Constitution the Kingdom ever had. The present charter simply reads: "The King shall be enthroned in a position of revered worship and shall not be violated. No person shall expose the King to any sort of accusation or action." The Thai Criminal code further states in Article 112: "Whoever defames, insults or threatens the King, Queen or the Heir-apparent, shall be punished with imprisonment of three to 15 years." Nowhere however does it state what constitutes 'defames' or 'insults'. It is important to note however that neither the King nor a member of the Royal Family has ever personally filed any charges. In fact during his birthday speech in 2005, King Bhumibol Adulyadej stated: "Actually, I must also be criticized. I am not afraid if the criticism concerns what I do wrong, because then I know.", he further stated, "But the King can do wrong." >>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lèse_majesté#Thailand

My view is that I cannot understand why he was simply not declared PNG at the airport. He was arrested leaving the country: it seems absurd to have created all this ballyhoo when it could have been avoided.

Maybe Flashermacs point about upsetting another is nearer the point.

If he sold 7 copies as reported how on earth did the Thai police end up with a copy. It looks like it was sent to them: why?

Sadly I suspect he is another idealist who sought to change what he saw as a wrong. Right or wrong he broke a law I suspect he did not understand.

But his imprisonment may have done more for his cause: if indeed he had one, than he ever intended.

From Thailandâ??s point of view I think this whole incident is, at best, unhelpful!

The burning of a flag shows utter contempt for a country IMHO. I am not saying, throw them away for life, 2-7 days should suffice. I maybe old fashion, but viva la difference

I'm very fond of my mother. She allegedly gave birth to me. Although I'd be reluctant to die for my country under most circumstances, I'd die for my mother under most. There were many times some asshole insulted my mother that I would gladly imprison them for about 2-7 days... actually some of them I'd just outright execute. Viva la difference.

Probably the author sent the police a copy. Free publicity sells books. The other 6 books were probalby all paid for.

I'm wondering if he'll be getting any more published? If the Thais were smart they'd have him on tape promising not to...or maybe something with his signature on it.

Archived