Aussie dumbass granted Royal pardon

drogon

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<< " The Thai Criminal code further states in Article 112: "Whoever defames, insults or threatens the King, Queen or the Heir-apparent, shall be punished with imprisonment ..." Nowhere however does it state what constitutes 'defames' or 'insults'. " >>

Thanks for the laying out of the law of 'Lese Majeste', it helps to centre rational argument about it.

If the Thais don't want their monarchy insulted, than so be it. If his issue was with Lese Majeste, as in any other country, the would-be writer could have attacked the law in the usual fashion - as one would do in any democratic society.

However, to break the law and then whine about it, well that is fine but you do so at your own risk.

Also, it is quite common, in any emerging country not to have all words defined in legislation. That is why so called 'western countries' have the law of precedence, where the courts give meanings to words or expressions, such as defame, insult etc. Usually, the courts give them their ordinary dictionary meaning unless the context says otherwise. Also, in most, if not in all countries, the fact that you are not aware of 'a law' is no excuse.

However, as is usual with these cases of Lese Majeste, the punishment of imprisonment can also be impinged with the associated collateral behaviour - the Swiss guy, graffiti and damage to public property; the Aussie guy with malicious defamation.

When only Thais are involved, lèse majesté does not get as much attention. But one case that has entranced the international press involved student activist and social critic, Chotisak Onsoong. Earlier this year he was charged with lèse majesté after refusing to stand during the playing of the kingâ??s anthem at a Bangkok cinema. Almost unique among recent lèse majesté cases, Chotisak welcomed the charge with further acts of public defiance.

However, what is Chotisak real agenda - politics, religion, we may never know or know to late? What was the Aussie's real agenda? Who is to know or say.

Hi,

"There are questionable laws around the world."

So? Two wrongs don't make a right.

Laws like this (and the other you pointed out) don't belong in the 21st century. BTW, has anyone been jailed for breaking those other rules you mentioned? (maybe they have, just asking as I don't know)

Ozpharlap:

"I also consider, anyone who burns a country's flag, should be jailed."

You are joking, right? Jailing someone for burning a piece of cloth???

Sanuk!

KS,

I don't think anyone is denying that the LM law is ridicules. But what is dumber, the law? or going to a country and intentionally breaking it to prove a point? If Thais want this changed, it is up to them to decide, not us farangs. Would you go to Saudi Arabia and break ANY law knowing the extreme consequences? Didn't think so. And Saudi is full of really stupid/extreme laws. We bitch I suppose because of our relationship to Thailand maybe?

As for people being jailed for violating the "Holocaust laws" yes, it has happened, not sure to what extremes though. I believe just recently some nut job was on the lam trying to dodge the charges.

As for flag burning...I'd be less offended if an American burned the American flag than some foreigner coming here and doing so, call it what you will. Biting the hand that feeds you? shitting on your host?

Not sure what it is with Chotisak. [color:red]He says the laws are unconstitutional and he's prepared to go to jail.[/color] I don't think he can be compared to an opportunistic arsehole like Harry.

The laws are included in the consitution. So how can they be unconstitutional?

:hmmm:

He says they were instituted by a military government. He's the guy who refused to stand up in the cinema. It was another citizen who got upset and brought the LM case. Now I don't think they know what to do with him.

Archived