Noise Canceling Headphones

gawguy

I've been reading the thread where most members are recommending Bose headsets. I don't know much about noise canceling.

Do you have to have an audio signal playing to use them, or can you just turn them on and have them cancel jet noise?

I would like to watch movies too. Looking online I saw noise canceling headphones that did not seem to have a wire to connect to a device. Are some like that, or was it just the way the photo was composed?

My airline has two-prong jacks. I see adapters online, but I want to buy them locally. Is this something Best Buy or Radio Shack would carry.

So, bottom line: If I go to Best Buy, I should be able to get Bose cancelling headset that will work with or without audio coming in. And I should be able to get an airline two-prong jack adapter. Yes? (My time before departure is a little short, so I want to shop locally.)

Thanks,

GG

My experience with Bose products is that it is overpriced, mediocre stuff. Avoid.

From the other thread, my recommendation: [color:purple]Then I found my current set in Japan in Akihabara. Audio-Technica ATH-ANC3. Absolutely feckin' brilliant! The noise cancelling works a treat, and they are super sensitive, so volume is never a problem. They come in a nice case, with an extension cord and an airplane adaptor. And a nice feature is a momentary contact button to shut off the sound and noise-cancelling if you need to talk to a hostie on the plane, for example. Should be able to find them for ~US$100. [/color]

Review.

Cheers,

SD

PS -- yes, the noise cancelling on the ANC3s works whether plugged into an audio source or not

You don't need an audio signal, but they do need batteries.

I left my nice Sennheiser ones on a plane last year and TG lost property sent me someone elses inferior ones. Presumeably their owner has my better ones.

Now I have a pair of Panasonic which work ok and are quite comfortable, though you do get sick of wearing them after a few hours. Combined with earplugs they make a big difference which you only really appreciate when you have to take them off..

Bose have a big rep, but are very expensive.

I have often thought they should incorporate this technology into the plane seats or cabin walls to make things abit more comfortable for everyone.

SuaDum, Barron & Barry,

Beautiful! Just what I needed. I will be shopping forthwith.

Thanks,

Gaw Guy

Actually most important is that the in-ear phones fit into your ears. I had several earphones (Sony, Apple, e.g., on ear and in ear) until I found the Shure phones. Nevertheless I am thinking about custom fit sleeves, which are quite expensive unfortunately.

I agree about Bose, at least the products I have used, and what others have told me of what they have used, though I have not knowledge of the headphones you refer to.

I have heard that you can use them without music, but how well they work, I am afraid I cannot answer that question.

When I wanted to buy something for jet flights, I settled on the Etymotic Er6i

As kamui described his examples, it goes for isolation rather than active noise cancellation.

I am happy with how they work on airplanes, the music sounds great. You can hear the quiet parts of the music clearly. Without music they make it quieter, but I have no idea how well they would do that compared to the noise canceling headphones.

• 2 weeks later...
I agree 100% with what SD stated.

I bought Audio Technica ATH-ANC7 headphones and they're great!

Okay Geniuses!! It was touch and go. They arrived hours before departure as UPS temporarily lost them. For someone who has never used noise-cancelling this was a miraculous revelation, flying on a 747 and able to hear every word in the movie! Thank you. Love, Gaw Guy

Archived