DOGS - BUYER BEWARE

Dumsoda

Didn't know where to post this...so it's here..

Background:

Last week I was having a drink with a BG I've known for a few years...

Sunday was her son's 10th Birthday..(and I actually remember buying him something for his 7th birthay)

He wanted a bicycle....No problems...I arranged to take her shopping for a bicycle on Saturday....

Come Friday....and she tells me her Sister has already bought him a shiny new Red bicycle...great...

So, what else would he realy like?????

He really wants a puppy dog.....OK...Done...We will take him to Chatachuck (sp?) on Sunday morning and get him a puppy.....

(I'm feeling good about this....every kid should have a "best friend"...right...and it's not gunna cost me much at the market.....errrr WRONG)

So, Sunday morning "we" wake early.......go pick up her son...and head for the market...Kid has a "shit eating" grin on his face...GREAT....Happy Birthday little fella...

We get there and start looking....he finds a ball of fluff he takes a liking to......Tao rai??? 14k Bt.......farkkkkkkkk.... Hmmmmm kid....better look for another one...No probs...

After searching, we find a cute little thing....at a much more realistic asking price...(but still not cheap..)...negotiate a price.....puppy gets taken to Vet in market...checked over.....thumbs up.....gets shots and medicine.....and off we go...(To buy a basket... Doggie T shirts...et al)

"Mickey" was a really cute little fluff ball....looked like a miniture stuffed toy bear... Kid was over the moon....Mom was instantly in Love...(with the Puppy)....all is good

Come Wednesday...."Mickey" is listless...not eating...vomitting...

So, Thursday....off to the Vet in Soi 71

Thursday night phone call....Things don't look good for "Mickey".....better come get him and take him to the Animal hospital in Thonglor

Get there...fill the forms....see a Vet (Good guy....very professional..good English)

He checks out Mickey and says 90% chance it's a viral infection....not looking good for a small puppy.

He explains that Thailand has a high rate of viral infections in Dogs....and in particular Chatachuck is a really bad, high risk place to purchase....

He also says, that there is no way you can tell when you purchase....even he could not tell if he was buying a puppy...sorta Russian Roulette!!!!!

Ok.... leave puppy here for 5 days

Blood tests tomorrow will give us a better picture....

Out to reception.....errrr 3k Bt "deposit"....thankyou very much....

Yesterday morning 10 am phone call...."Mickey" is dead

All involved are devistated....Mom is shattered...Kid is broken hearted....even I shed a tear....(for the Dog...not the baht!!)

What started out as a plan to make a kid's birthday something special.....has ended in disaster......

I guess at least the litle fella was well taken care of for his short life....all 5 days.....

I'm sad

RIP....Mickey :rip:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DS,

Sorry to hear the little fella passed on to the big dog kennel in the sky. I remember you telling me about this BD 'purchase' for the kid. I also remember thinking it awful expensive for a kid's puppy really. The good thing in Thailand is taking an animal/pet to a qualified vet is fairly inexpensive, shots are all very cheap too (I know, I have 2 mutts in the village, and now 1 pup in Surin taken from my female mutt's last litter) and I do mean last, she has been fixed chemically - every six months a 100 baht shot'll do it for her).

But hell, get the kid a sturdy little Thai mutt, not one of these 'breed' imports. Puppy farms (puppy 'mills' they call them) in the states are known to have many health problems with the animals as well. They just churn these poor animals out in quite nasty conditions in many of these places, and for a LARGE profit as well.

And, a local village/family Thai mutt will be cheap/free. Better to spend the money on a healthy dog for shots/the vet/clean-up and all those little fairy accessories women like to buy for the dogs. The biggest problem with the village pups is many never live past the puppy stage, as the fucking speed demon ignorant Thai teens run them over on their motocykes as they roam the sois at night. And of course the Thais see no reason to make sure the dogs are kept under leash or in a secure fenced area. It's a sort of Darwinian challenge for the dogs. That, and pure shit luck. Survival of the luckiest, fittest and smartest.

Sorry to hear Mickey didn't last. And yes, sorry you spent all that baht for this good deed only to have it kinda backfire.

See you soon. Back on the 15th early morn train.

Cent

Hi,

Sorry to hear this :(

Personally I would never buy a puppy at JJ. We bought our dog from a breeder, went to see the people, mother dog was there, a few siblings. Gave me a much more 'safe' feeling.

Sanuk!

KS,

Yeah, if I was going to buy a 'pure-bred' dog here I would go with a small family breeder with parents on the premises. There are a couple here in the Surin area I have seen. One even breeds boxers I was told. (My 'dog of choice' if I was buying a purebred.)

Still, I see so many dogs on the sois that need loving homes and care that spending big baht on a 'trophy' dog just to impress kind of goes against the grain for me. I'd rather spend the baht getting a soi mutt healthy and hale to keep. Kids love dogs, period, it doesn't need to be a big money thing, except the farkin' TV Thai Soaps show all these cute little furball 'ratdogs' all the time now on their shows and it has become trendy and a status thing to have a purebred dog.

Cent

The pet market at JJ's upsets me big time.

Last time I was there I saw a St Bernard who would have been 3/4 months old stuck in this tiny cage. Broke my heart to see such a beautifull animal in those surroundings. Why on earth would anyone keep a dog like that in this climate, it's just criminal imho.

Sorry to hear about little Mickey :rip:

I've heard similar tales about JJ before. One infected animal can spread a disease to all in the cramped quarters they keep them, especially sharing feed dishes. I've had my cats for years. They are the kittens of a kittie I rescued from getting squashed at an intersection years ago. Still, I've probably spend more on vet fees than I have on MD fees for me. :(

Archived