DOGS - BUYER BEWARE

Dumsoda

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard about a couple (farang) this story is second hand by the way.

They wanted a pet so went to Chatuchak, went through a similar episode to DS saw a nice one got told a huge price, carried on looking, finally found a nondescript ball of fur that that pulled on their heartstrings and fit their budget.

Took it home, gave it a name fed and nurtured it, watched it amble about their flat and at about 9 weeks noticed that it had a propensity to stand on its back legs.

Thought nothing of it, just a bit early to be doing the sit up and beg routine.

12, 13 weeks, its not only standing on its back legs for a moment its looking like its walking on its back legs so they took their cuddly little fluffy goofy dog to the vets for a consultation.

On inspection the vet shook his head and pronounced in stilted English that ,"This no dog....it BEAR !"

Sorry to read that this boys dog passed on.

I've had a dog since I was a little tike. A mut and then black labrador retievers. Family dogs. Then my own.

I also had a close relative with a kennel - breeding - selling puppies. All with papers. They raised collies and poodles. And showed them also.

Appologies to those who own them. The poodles are dumb and little nippers (bite your ankles) and the collies were dumb - but beautiful as puppies. The labrador retrievers never lasted more than 10 years as they develped 'hip' problems.

Purebred can be fine. But many are bred for looks only.

My last two dogs were from a 'shelter' - Humane Society - Animal Rescue League. Muts. Half breeds.

A dog is a lot of work and time. Most people avoid both when obtaining a dog. Most children don't have a clue how much time is needed and work involved with a dog.

Well it's time for me to put 'Muffins' hand knitted shoes on, her dress, and her nice red bow - and we go for a walk. She is so pretty !

Hi,

"A dog is a lot of work and time."

Agreed. Our dog has caught an infection in his eye, and it is pretty bad. We have to give him eyedrops every hour, and some pills every evening.

Part of owning a dog though. If you want to have a dog, be prepared to take care of it. If you cannot - or will not - make that commitment... don't get a dog!

Sanuk!

That sucks big time DS. I think we have all been there: doing the good & right thing only to be broadsided by life. I feel bad for the kid. I hope something works out to make him forget this (tho' it is a lesson about life's frailties, while never easy, that is worth learning).

Cheers,

SD

Archived