USB Flash Stick Privacy

gawguy

So...we read about wear-leveling that is used in flash drives and that causes them to not be fully erasable. I have photos, legal but embarassing, that I sometimes put on. I use a small flash capacity flash stick on purpose because then I fill it 100% with every-day photos. Then I erase those. Does that address the wear-leveling issue or not?

I also understand that one can encrypt the files or the whole flash drive and that is effective.

Comments, lads??

Thanks,

GG

The probably most easy way would be to create a private zone on the stick. That way you don't have to erase or overwrite the files. Lots of sticks which do bring their own security software. This protects the files after and before deletion. This is, of course, unless someone forces you to disclose the password.

The way you do it makes it almost impossible to retrieve your artfull pictures, so no worries if you continue that way.

A better way to wipe the stick would be the freeware tool eraser (actually lots of tools that can do the trick). delete all data on the stick and then use eraser to erase the empty space. Three times overwrite is more than enough.

Acronis True Image does include a tool named DriveCleanser. Will do the trick as well.

Yes, TrueCrypt is a very good software.

If I am not mistaken it has to be installed on the computer one wishes to open the protected files/partitions. It might not be the best option when one thinks about portable media like USB sticks and external drives.

Hamok,

I have seen a few programs, always came with the USB stick. Some will only accept sticks from the same brand,some even only sticks from the same model. Won't work with other sticks. I have not put much thought in this.

If someone knows of a program that creates private zones on any stick that would be nice. One that doesn't require installing it on the comuter first.

If I am reading the website correctly, it looks like that is the same as TrueCrypt and others, in that you need the proggie running on a computer to access the data.

The IronKey uses hardware encryption, so you can use it at an internet cafe and still be protected. Hence the price.

EDIT: and being a US company, don't they have to build in a back door so that the FBI or whatever can get at your data? TrueCrypt is European and does nto fall under that clause. I think I remember reading about that, anyway -- someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Of course, IronKey is also a US company, so has the same limitation, eh?

Cheers,

SD

Archived