China wants to replace the Dollar as leading currency

kamui

What war? China won't have to fire a shot. I wouldn't even regard America as the leading superpower now. China has more influence in Africa of all places. They already have Asia. They are a rapidly growing presense in South America.

As for the dollar, it will be replaced sooner or later, my guess is sooner since this credit crunch started here. Many have lost faith in it.

Its China. They are like America from the post civil war till WW1. Their economy growing by leaps and bounds.

After the next major thing to happen it will be confirmed. America is leader in name only but but not when everything is weighed.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

mobile execution facilitys......have i mentioned them before?!......scarey thought eh, who knows they might eventually go global with them!

The Chinese really are flexing their muscles' date=' aren't they....all very interesting....

China vs America...the next cold war....?[/quote']

Donâ??t kid yourself, China has been waging a low level trade war against the US for a long time. Its easy to complain about the dollar and foreign exchange markets when you do not allow your own currency to be floated on the market.

TH

One of Obama's campaign promises was to address the trade imbalance (and by implication, China's monetary policy). What do we have? Hillary kissing Chinese ass. :wanker:

I'm curious. Whatever happened to the old broad who lectured them on human rights? (Well, women's rights...close enough)

HH

The Chinese really are flexing their muscles' date=' aren't they....all very interesting....

China vs America...the next cold war....?[/quote']

Donâ??t kid yourself, China has been waging a low level trade war against the US for a long time. Its easy to complain about the dollar and foreign exchange markets when you do not allow your own currency to be floated on the market.

TH

One of Obama's campaign promises was to address the trade imbalance (and by implication, China's monetary policy). What do we have? Hillary kissing Chinese ass. :wanker:

HH

So who is wanking whoms? :content:

You only can talk about human right from a position of power. It seems that this position is gone...

China has economic might now. Before they were just a regional power that was too big to invade (that old saying NEVER get into a land war in China/Asia)

Now they are even able to project military power a bit more. They still don't have the ability to do it across the globe like the U.S. but what they lack in that they make up in economic and political power. A permanent seat on the UN security council carries a lot of political power.

If a country had to choose between the U.S. and China, they may go with the future (China) and not the past (present? USA).

South Africa, of all places, caving in regarding the Dali Lama says it all about China's influence in Africa.

The middle east will be one of their next sphere's of influence and ironically enough the Chinese may become so entrenched that find it in their best interests to combat terrorism because its bad for business and progress. Instead of being on the side lines or even coddling countries that engage in it directly or indirectly.

The U.S. will increasingly look like an empty suit and my guess is that India will take over the reigns to combat them. Japan and Russia will try and check them in the region or at least resist being controlled.

The current financial mess has exposed America's weakness and in its aftermath will leave the U.S. a debtor nation of such huge proportions (with a lot of that money being owed to China) that we won't be able to project power or when we do will be regarded as an empty threat.

China has serious internal problems. There may be a class war ensuing. Rural v. Urban, south v. north. Its going to be hard for them to maintain that totalitarian state for too long as they become a global economic power.

Nice post CS.

Although I don't believe we have to give up the US for now as the USA have always showed resilience and capacity to overcome great odds.

About China, I agree it could well be the "economic giant" now but as to be a global superpower -> I don't buy it, it needs at least two things: Power projection capacity (which they don't have and will not have for a long time) and the will to do so.

India and Russia are a joke, facing internal problems as big as China to say the least.

Anyway, the border between Pakistan, India and China looks a promising "hot spot".

Japan and South Korea might well be the true competitors in the area.

(and don't forget the "rebel province of Taiwan")

The Chinese don't forget that Japan almost conquered it.

Time will tell, we are lucky that China still needs us, for now, as its main customers as well as "competence transfer" source....

Belga/AFP

FMI/IMF's head acknowledges China's declaration and agrees that a debate has to be open in the next few months to consider this possibility.

Seems the USA don't agree with that (was to be expected)....

Found that too:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/138617/new-reserve-currency-talks-legitimate

New reserve currency talks 'legitimate'

By: AFP

Published: 26/03/2009 at 01:05 AM

IMF managing director Dominique Strauss-Kahn said Wednesday that talks on a new world reserve currency to replace the US dollar were "legitimate" and could take place "in the coming months."

Earlier British Prime Minister Gordon Brown brushed off China's call for a new global reserve currency instead of the dollar, saying it would not be a major topic for next week's G20 summit.

"I don't think of all the subjects at the G20 we're going to have a long discussion" about whether to have a new global currency, Brown, who will host the London summit, told a meeting webcast from New York.

He added that a more "immediate issue" was to persuade countries like China which held a large amount of foreign reserves to think of conducting themselves differently.

People's Bank of China Governor Zhou Xiaochuan has called for the dollar -- installed as the reserve currency after World War II -- to be replaced with a different standard run by the International Monetary Fund (IMF).

Zhou suggested that the IMF's Special Drawing Rights, a currency basket comprising dollars, euros, sterling and yen, could serve as a super-sovereign reserve currency, adding it would not be easily influenced by the policies of individual countries.

US President Barack Obama defended the use of the dollar Tuesday, saying: "I don't believe there is a need for a global currency".

US companies raced to China in the late 70's ~ early 80's to sell them steel mills, etc. I know, I was there and making $$$.

China was paying their steel workers like $0.50 an hour, with zero safety measures (I saw several Chinese lose arms/legs while running the mill) but with 1B+ people, they are easily replaced.

Pollution...dump it into the river.

China doesn't play the game or follow the rules like the West does,so they can easily beat the West on pricing, at ths time, but it is changing, slowly.

China built too many steel mills and the world had a surplus of steel, plus Mittal (India) has been buying steel mills worldwide and is now the leading producer of steel.

One thing, China still has poor quality but they are improving

Me thinks, one day, China may be the top dog, but not yet, IMO.

The problem with China is nobody takes her manufacturing growth serious. In the steel industry, she dwarfs the USA which is of no concern to the USA.

That's right. China has been underestemiated very much in the recent decade. I still remember watching CNN in hotel room in Beijing in 2004 or so. They had a report about the car industry and stated that China won't be capable to produce their own cars for more than a decade. That was a big mistake.

I think the major difference between the political/economical planning between China and most industrial countries is, that China seems to follow a long term strategie which is not tied short term shareholder values or elections ever other years.

Archived