Thais and Democracy

bust

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

democracy is pretty much a western concept and some western governments,

Yeah, except people in undeveloped and non-western countries are putting their lives on the line for it. Look at Iran.

In Thailand motives are often mixed, but I frankly thinks its an insult to Thais to say they are not worthy of democracy. The poor in Issan know quite well when they are getting screwed. ;)

As for Singapore, I have not met a relaxed and happy Singaporean yet. Well, actually I have – several that moved to Thailand or the U.S. to get away from Singapore’s benevolent dictatorship. They all think the government their sucks.

Well I saw a bunch of about 80 happy thais at my place last night meeting the local elected officail (recent election) who was there to find out what they wanted him to do.

Given the village and area history maybe a bit unusual but they have a good record of voting against those who don't deliver.

When was the last time a recent elected Western Pollie visited a group to ask what they want :)

The concept of democracy as Western is odd - given the Greeks had it long before they we're considered "western" but rather oriental!

Given the village and area history maybe a bit unusual but they have a good record of voting against those who don't deliver.

The concept of democracy as Western is odd - given the Greeks had it long before they we're considered "western" but rather oriental!

Yeah it is odd. But it is not odd that people vote against those who don't deliver - or to state it in the affirmative: vote in favor of those whom the believe will make their lives better. Self interest is very easy to understand. This is why democracy, dispite all of its blemishes, blimps and flaws, works. And this is why, at the end of the day, people want it. They want a government that delivers.

And they don't want some self-annointed elite telling them what to do or what is good. Singapore is a good example of this. The only happy Singaporeons I have met, and I have met hundreds, live in the U.S., Canada or Thailand. Haven't met a single one who actually lives in Singapore.

Recall that ridiculous "smile Singapore" campaign, where the government essentially ordered Singaporeons to act as they are happy. No one really bought it, least of all Singaporeons.

This is your second attack on Singapore, wonder what they did to piss you off?

In the almost two years I lived and worked in Singapore in the late '90s' (I also work every day with 2 right now), I found pretty much the opposite. Most Singaporeans are very proud of what the country has accomplished (ever been to a National Day celebration?) and had no real problem with the government. What I have found about Singaporeans is they tend to be apolitical and mostly are concerned with business. They understand why the government did the things it did earlier and are happy with how it turned out. But they are very much worried about the future as they feel the next generation of leaders may not be so selfless and pragmatic.

Maybe the people you meet outside Singapore were happy because they got out doing their national service (ever see the movie Army Daze?).

TH

TH - ever spoken to Singapore Taxi drivers - they all want Goh back - Lee got things ok - Goh softened and made it livable - the Major is disliked.

Singapore the only Democratic Benign Dictatorship :) The Singapore Womens club or whatever it's called was a fascinating case last few months.

I like Singapore a lot - lived there as a kid and many times since - would live there again - love visiting the place - but agree with what Gaddie says as well.

You agree that Singaporeans that live in Singapore are unhappy becasue of politics or even Singporeans care enough about politics to effect their happiness?

Come on. You're joking, right?

:dunno:

I do agree that Singaporeans, even more then most other Asians (except Chinese) I have meet, are more then happy to live in the west compared to their own countries. But I don't think it is about politics, they are after all mostly Chinese anyway

TH

Archived