LOS tourism hit

drogon

Was recently reading an interview by a french magazine of a few major hotel managers who were saying that, despite the global crisis, Thailand's tourism would fare ok....

One more nail in the coffin of LOS economy I guess...Wonder if the figures below are realistic or alarmistic ones...

Tourism severely hit by UDD

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/140256/tourism-severely-hit-by-udd

--------------------------------------

The tourism sector has expressed concern over actions of the red-shirt movement, warning that tourism revenue this year could plummet at least 30 per cent.

The government's decision to enforce the Emergency Decree in Pattaya and Chon Buri would have a serious effect on the indsutry, Tourism Council of Thailand president Kongkrit Hirunkit said on Saturday.

Leaders from 15 Asian countries came to Thailand to attend the Asean Summit and related summits. Foreign tourists might take the view the government could not guarantee their safety if it could not prevent the protesters breaking into the summit venue.

He said the activities by United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) protesters were as bad as the actions of People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) protesters.

The PAD yellow-shirt protesters occupied Suvarnabhumi airport late last year and it would take six to nine months for local tourism to recover, he said.

The tourism sector, which generated about 540 billion baht annually, may lose up to 200 billion baht this year because of the red-shirt anti-government movement. More than two million people working in the tourism industry would be affected.

Thai Hotels Association chairman Prakit Chinamourphong said the UDD protest was no different than the closure of Suvarnabhumi airport by the PAD last year.

It would definitely hit the tourism sector significantly, and holding tourism roadshows now would be pointless because people in other countries may already have lost confidence in Thailand .

Mr Prakit condemned the red-shirt movement, saying it was terrible because it damaged the whole country just to benefit one person.

Association of Thai Travel Agents chairman Apichart Sankary criticised the government for failing to maintain order and security during the regional meetings.

The government should not hope to host major international events again, he said.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Traditional German dirndls as to avoid confusions..

With a Tyrolean hat (Thais will not make a difference between southern Germany and Switzerland)

For my part I think I will wear a Tshirt with the inside red and the outside yellow...

-> so people can call me a turncoat but I will be safe...

(just hope not more colours will join the party)

Archived