Cheap but good beef

AloyMak

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going from an A/C room to a high humidity area (outdoors), a little trick...put the camera in a zip lock bag before you leave the A/C room. Once outdoors, allow the camera (in the bag) to warm up to the outdoor temp (30 min?). Once the camera has warmed up, it is Ok to take out of the bag and you should not have a problem.

I used to do this when in Sillypore with my previous (very cheap) camera. Worked great!

When the camera is in an A/C room, there is little moisture. You put the camera in a zip lock back (no moisture), you take outside into the hot, moist air and allow the camera to warm up to ambient temp (still no moisture in the bag).

Once the camera is the same temp as ambient, take out of the bag, no moisture will form in or on the camera as it is the same temp as ambient and moisture will not condense in or on the same temp (camera).

When the camera is in an A/C room, there is little moisture. You put the camera in a zip lock back (no moisture), you take outside into the hot, moist air and allow the camera to warm up to ambient temp (still no moisture in the bag).

Once the camera is the same temp as ambient, take out of the bag, no moisture will form in or on the camera as it is the same temp as ambient and moisture will not condense in or on the same temp (camera).

Not quite, the moisture is caused by condensation, the result of the camera going from a cold room to a hot outdoor atmosphere. So the bag shouldn't matter, as it is still going from a cold room to the outdoors where it is hotter. The condensation on the sensor is what actually causes the problem.

Additionally, because of condensation, it is NEVER a good idea to store electronic equipment such as cameras in an airtight bag unless you have that silicate (sp) crystal stuff in there...which still might not effect the condensation on the sensor. I usually store my cameras with the lenses off, and a cap over the openings for just this reason.

As I said, I can work around the problem easily enough... As I said, take the lens off the camera, and wait 5 minutes until it all normalizes...

Let me also add, I do know people who walk around BKK etc with their cameras in a zip lock "in case of rain." This can also cause condensation problems, even in consistent weather/temperatures...

I'm just surprised that an award winning professional photo journalist didn't know that?! :neener:

See my above post...you see, us award winning professional photo journalists know what is best and how to work around problems like this...additionally, I am most likely using superior equipment which Cav simply cannot afford...his little home spun remedies are fine for simple things...like Cav's cam phone and his 1mp point and shoot... :susel:

I had the condensation problem on a Cruise ship a number of years ago.

It was a hot and humid day. I took a super-8 video camera out of my A/C cabin to film a passing ship. The camera ground to a halt and when I opened the tape compartment I saw that the tape had unspooled inside and jammed and damaged the transport mechanism. I noticed a lot of moisture inside the camera.

When I later took it to be repaired, it was confirmed that condensation was the cause and the showed me in the instruction manual where it warned of the problem.

The suggested remedy was exactly as Cavanami suggested: keep in a sealed bag until the camera has warmed enough not to condense the moist air contacting it.

Same true with today's digital cameras.

Archived