Are Most People Dumb?

unit731

Yes, it's a simple question.

Lacking in common sense. Stupid. Idiots.

Do you have a family member who is stupid?

Do you have conversations with people and you immediately say to yourself "This person is an idiot".

And not to get too personal. Are some on this board lacking in intelligence?

Are most people dumb?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it can be said that everyone is "dumb" in some areas?

Can you read and write Chinese? if not, does that make you dumb? maybe, if you are living in China.

Can you name the previous ten prime ministers of the UK? I can't so I'm dumb in that area, etc...

California at least used to divide classes in schools into ability levels. (It may not be PC these days.) When I did my practice teaching at a high school, I was shocked to see what "average intelligence" supposedly meant. It was the kids I'd always thought of as being thick as a brick! Even so it doesn't take a lot of brains to get through life. Just look at out politicians.

:dunno:

I believe words like dumb and stupid actually do have congitive scientific defintions and we use these adjectives incorrectly all the time..

Highly intellegent people make poor decisions or behaviors periodically...A dumb person vs a stupid decision...

I find most people lazy, unmotivated, not curious and above all ignorant in both general and specific terms...

Most people don't test themslves nor push themselves to see if they are smart or not. I can't recall the exact details (wish I was smarter) but I believe research pointed out that average people use just a fraction (15% - 20%) of their brain cells - meaning activated and stimulated.

I like to look at this question in another way. I put everyone in the same tuna boat and when i meet certain people (not often), I reflect to myself, that person is a smart person.

I define smart in one or combo of these words - highly motivated, intelligent, bright, curious, knowlegeable, self-starter, passion to learn, inner fire, humble, etc..

It depends if you wish to define dumb or smart in general terms as we do or in the narrow quantifiable cognitive terms...

CB

Unit, if you know of developmental psychology, you will know that most peoples brains fail to go through the final stages of cognitive development.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_g2699/is_0000/ai_2699000096/

Nice overview, it states...about the last stage of cognitive development (the formal operational)...

"According to Piaget, and to many who believe in his framework, not everyone reaches this stage of cognitive development. Some researchers assert that as few as 25 percent of the general population reaches the formal operational stage. Still others suggest that it is a culture-based phenomena and that in less technological societies, almost no one reaches the stage-mainly because such thinking is not valued or even necessary."

I think the percentage cited is a little high, as I recall 10-15% being commonly written about previously.

But yes, most people are dumb. Like really dumb.

I am extremely reluctant to take such a negative stance on people, let alone calling them "idiots". I have read many reports about and I personally know young people who have a low measured IQ, lacking formal education but are gifted with a very elevated state of mind, high esthetic sensitivity and excellent taste and they are also very nice and gentle (some of these people are autistic). As I have said many times formal education and "intelligence", yuppie credentials (grades at the "finest" universities etc) mean relatively little to me.

My basic presumption about people is the opposite to the one of this thread:

I believe there is a lot of talent, imagination, creativity and, yes, intelligence out there which has never been developed because people have not had the opportunity.

This is the case particularly in countries with a rigid hierarchical class structure.

Such as Thailand.

cb, I agree with what you've written, mostly. Not sure I'd put self starter in that list, but for me intelligence has often been a clinical thing, due to my previous profession.

Conceptual processing is the sign of a good mind, usually. Linear minds can often excel in one field, but be terrible in other endeavours. I'm of the belief that most people can be reasonably adept at one skill, but few can master many disciplines.

Motivation and such "driven" related terms are not useful, as they can relate to the emotional or psychological state of an individual. Often those of high intelligence are emotionally flawed, Einstein being a fine example....Freud another. Laziness can be a product of a bored mind, not a stupid one!

I am extremely reluctant to take such a negative stance on people, let alone calling them "idiots". I have read many reports about and I personally know young people who have a low measured IQ, lacking formal education but are gifted with a very elevated state of mind, high esthetic sensitivity and excellent taste and they are also very nice and gentle (some of these people are autistic). As I have said many times formal education and "intelligence", yuppie credentials (grades at the "finest" universities etc) mean relatively little to me.

My basic presumption about people is the opposite to the one of this thread:

I believe there is a lot of talent, imagination, creativity and, yes, intelligence out there which has never been developed because people have not had the opportunity.

This is the case particularly in countries with a rigid hierarchical class structure.

Such as Thailand.

You're a generous soul, but really, most people aren't bright. Trust me. For me it isn't a moral judgement or something that leads me to categorize others as better or worse people, it is what it is.

Blame a lot of it on the education systems. In most countries education is not aimed at developing thinking. Its goal is to program people with a certain set of cultural beliefs and a common ideology. Education is meant to mould "good citizens", not to develop people who may challenge the system or to develop individuals to their potential.

Archived