idiot itunes/ipod question

Guest baldrick

Guest lazyphil

i'm thinking of joing the revolution and buying an ipod. so, i downloaded itunes in preperation, and have bought a couple of tunes. can i put my cds onto my account and will it use 'their' space rather than clutter up my hard drive. how easy is it to upload music onto an ipod. everyone i talk to doesn't seem to know...'oh, my neighbour did it, or my brother, wife etc etc

all i want is some music to run/train too, sounds like a proper kerfuffle to me.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your music you convert with itunes will be stored on your computer. Same as with most/all media file managers.

Converting files with itunes ain't difficult. Getting the files onto the ipod ain't difficult. While I would not consider an ipod for me my niece is happy with hers.

The people you talked to, tell them they're in god company. I'm quite sure GWB didn't load his ipod shuffle himself.

tech savvy

As Carlton said, iTunes/iPod is currently the easiest solution on the market.

If you rip CD's make sure tweak the import functions for CD's a little bit.

like: MP3, 192 VBR or 256 kb, 7/high quality

Otherwise the CD's will imported as AAC files which can only played on Apple devices...

kamui,

I never said itunes/ipod is the easiest solution. I said it's not difficult.

Easiest would be a mp3 player that can be filled with files like any USB stick. Surprisingly most mp3 players allow to do that. Just not icrap and a few others.

And sorry, in my post above I omitted an 'o'. With GWB they are in 'good company', not in 'god company'. But then, with religious loonies like him or Osama you never know if they gonna cut your head of to carry out 'gods will'.

It was a freudian slip, should be 'good company'.

Guest lazyphil

here we go again...ripping, mp3, vpr, it means nothing to me, just techno talk. zero help to me. how do i tweak this. frankly its no help to me.

Phil in Laymans Terms

Since you have installed iTunes and have Copied (ripped) a couple of your CD's into your music files you have mastered the most difficult part.

Once you have iPod just plug it in, first time of connecting it will ask you to name the device (ie Phil's iPdod) and then its just a matter of hitting the Synch Button ... Volaire all music transfered onto the iPod.

The Boring Technical Bit!

Apple / iTunes / iPod / iPhone use a format called Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) which is unique to Apple devices. This means if you copy music in AAC format it cannot be played (directly) on another mobile player.

This should not bother you since it appears that all you want to do is get your tunes onto an ipod to listen to whilst working out so AAC being locked to 1 brand and having slightly (hardly noticable) lower sound quality will be of no concern.

how easy is it to upload music onto an ipod. everyone i talk to doesn't seem to know...'oh, my neighbour did it, or my brother, wife etc etc

I have this with the wife, she is always asking me to "Back up the Phone" "Load some new tunes" "copy some photo's from phone to thumb drive" etc etc. Everytime I do it I tell her "its simple just watch and learn how its done", the reply is "why should I learn when I can get you to do it for me"

I suppose that puts me in my place :p

LP, I understand the frustration you're experiencing. :( I tried ripping my CD's once, but there must be a special technique coz I tried for hours and couldn't even manage a wee tear. Fecking impossible it was. :banghead: So in the end I cut them up with a pair of scissors. :drunk:

Guest lazyphil

thanks mekong!....just sorting out a training montage....got NWA straight outa compton for 79p to start with :bangit: ....will get a ipod nano soon.

here we go again...ripping, mp3, vpr, it means nothing to me, just techno talk. zero help to me. how do i tweak this. frankly its no help to me.

Importing CD's on your PC is called ripping.

Ok, don't tweak anything. If you have installed iTunes you want iTunes import (rip) your music files from your CD's, that iTunes put the files on your upcoming iPod.

First:

Start iTunes, put a CD in your cd drive and iTunes should ask, if it should import it. Say yes...

Also, if you have set up a iTunes account (at the iTunes shop) and if it is a standard music you just ripped, iTunes will add CD info's automatically - otherwise you will have to add CD name, artists and titles manually

When you connect your iPod to the PC it will snyc the ripped CD files automatically.

Archived