Trying to expain Thai alpabet v Eng

Lord Toad

I started to learn written Thai using one of those picture books for 3 yr olds...the gor gai,kor kwai etc....available in all book shops....I did feel a bit of a tw*t carrying it about though-some of the BGs must have thought I was a " farang panyar orn "

Try to find some of the text books meant for teaching literacy to Thai adults. The reading is just as easy, but the subject matter is adult. Maybe look in a second hand book shop (the ones meant for Thais).

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I started to learn written Thai using one of those picture books for 3 yr olds...the gor gai,kor kwai etc....available in all book shops....I did feel a bit of a tw*t carrying it about though-some of the BGs must have thought I was a " farang panyar orn "

IHL,

I did exactly the same thing, I still have the "Gai Kai Kuad Kwai" picture chart up in the office wall, the equivalent of A=Apple B=Ball C=Cat D=Dog books we have in English. zfor written Thai I had the exercise books which were like a dot to dot book, approx 30 grids to fill in, first one showed all dots and stroke direction whereas the last one just showed starting and ending point. I learned my times tables by rote and I did the same with read / write Thai.

When we bought the chart and books the sales assistant said to my wife "would you like to also get books to teach your baby English" she just hugged me and smiled and replied "My Baby knows English"

Drunk and posting dumb idea

I realised yesterday that the website did not include the vital piece of info in the URL

You need to search for sex

And certainly the results caused great hilarity with one little girl.

The point about the site is it has Thai, the pronunciation in the western alphabet and the English.

>When we bought the chart and books the sales assistant said to my wife "would you like to also get books to teach your baby English" she just hugged me and smiled and replied "My Baby knows English"

OK, I vote this post as the "Post of the Month"!

Excellent.

>When we bought the chart and books the sales assistant said to my wife "would you like to also get books to teach your baby English" she just hugged me and smiled and replied "My Baby knows English"

OK, I vote this post as the "Post of the Month"!

Excellent.

Second the motion!

I learnt Japanese at High school. To learn the hiragana (japanese alphabet) we had these flashcards. Japanese symbol on one side of the card and English on the other. I've often thought this would be a good idea for the Thai alphabet, but I've stalled making my own (not a priority for me). Does anybody know where I could buy flashcards for Thai like this? I know I can download some off of a website - but I'd prefer properly printed cards I can buy at a shop - not something I'd have to hack together myself with a dodgy printer.

Archived