Thai Ladies, education and power

KimDidMeGood

"It could also lead, eventually, to the demise of the nightlife scene, but that is probably a long way off..."

Doubtful. Look at Japan, for instance. Arguably a bigger nightlife scene than here, but the women are pretty equal to men, education and employment-wise anyway.

Cheers,

SD

I agree with SD. The nightlife scene in LoS as well as in Japan and several other Asian countries is linked to culture much more than economic factors.

In the hypothesis that women succeed at gaining the highest positions in political power, I highly doubt they would be willing to challenge that statu quo and would they be, odds are high that they won't succeed at that.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Even in countries where some women can make 50USD/hours in regular jobs there are women wanting to make 100USD/hour selling their asses, whatever the reasons.

Oh sure, there are prostitutes in every country even when it's illegal, but that's not the point.

What I mean is that I know of many countries, notably in the southern hemisphere where economic factors are several times harsher than in LoS but where nightlife is confidential and lilliputian compared to Thailand where things happen at large scale and in the open with few people taking offense.

As is totally typical on this board (and most boards where people don't have much education and do not think very much), how can you even discuss this question without first establishing whether there are more females than males in the GENERAL POPULATION of tland for that age group. It turns out, there ARE more females than males in the general (non-university) population at that age group....so, still surprised there are more females and males in universities?

The question you should be asking is: What percentage of females......what percentage of males....... etc. etc.

p.s. Tland has ALWAYS had a higher than average

"female labor force participation rate" than other countries (excluding sex workers from this rate).

The Thai pop is very close to 50/50 male female ratio - even a 2% swing is high and wouldn't account for the margins seen at Uni's here.

Western uni's have had more women than men for many years in certain streams. Medicine is one going on memory in Australia.

Sex ratio:

Definition Field info displayed for all countries in alpha order

at birth: 1.05 male(s)/female

under 15 years: 1.05 male(s)/female

15-64 years: 0.98 male(s)/female

65 years and over: 0.83 male(s)/female

total population: 0.98 male(s)/female (2009 est.)

Before talking education (or lack of) check with who you are talking.

The ratios of females/males in uni isn't necessarily linked to the ratio female/male in the general population of a given country.

Especially in Thailand (and quite a few other culture/countries) where males are privileged compared to their female counterparts.

You try to link the ratio in the uni with the general gender ratio in Thailand which is irrelevant in the OP's question.

The fact there are more females in a given uni/department/faculty is not necessarily linked to the gender ratio.

If you said that some socio-cultural reasons are behind this then you might be right, linking this to the gender ratior is probably quite wrong.

I like the fact there are more Thai women on the uni seats than males (and also more office ladies than males of the same education level) simply because women in Thailand's society are not privileged.

Will the nightlife vanish? Nope, because there will always be some farmer daughters who find it easier (or whom the families find easier to send) to gain money in the nightlife than on the uni's seats.

But there are quite a few farmer's daughters who are now perfectly normal office ladies.

To my knowledge there is not a huge gender imbalance in Thailand so focusing on that is wrong, especially to criticize other posters.

Anyway the OP was just a question, this is a board not a university study.

So let's all be friends and not start a battle about such a trivial subject

As is totally typical on this board (and most boards where people don't have much education and do not think very much), how can you even discuss this question without first establishing whether there are more females than males in the GENERAL POPULATION of tland for that age group. It turns out, there ARE more females than males in the general (non-university) population at that age group....so, still surprised there are more females and males in universities?

The question you should be asking is: What percentage of females......what percentage of males....... etc. etc.

p.s. Tland has ALWAYS had a higher than average

"female labor force participation rate" than other countries (excluding sex workers from this rate).

You're really quite an unpleasant person aren't you? If you'd bother to read the board, rather than throwing out useless rubbish (we've a thread for that by the way), you'd be fully aware that there are many highly educated individuals on this board...I'd suggest many with superior educational qualifications to your own (unless you've studied to doctorate level, in which case I apologise).

It is possible to not make digs at others on a regular basis. Your spite and vitriol suggests deep seated issues. I'd get them checked out. In the meantime, why not try to be friendly?

Archived