Thai Ladies, education and power

KimDidMeGood

I have read that currently, girls significantly outnumber guys in Thai universities. I don't know if that's factual, maybe someone can confirm or refute?

Anyway if that's true, I wonder if it's a relatively new phenomenon? And in that case, is it realistic to foresee that, in the future, there could be a surge of women in power positions be it in government or private sector?

What's your opinion?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That sounds about right. Ladies here, by which I mean Bangkok (of the current generation), seem very career minded and not that interested in settling down until their late 20's/early 30's.

Theoretically this should mean that a huge shift in power will occur. It will be interesting to see if Thai men respond by being more responsible in their behaviour and lessen their propensity to fuck around. Maybe it could lead to a more balanced society, less male dominated?? It could also lead, eventually, to the demise of the nightlife scene, but that is probably a long way off...

"It could also lead, eventually, to the demise of the nightlife scene, but that is probably a long way off..."

Doubtful. Look at Japan, for instance. Arguably a bigger nightlife scene than here, but the women are pretty equal to men, education and employment-wise anyway.

Cheers,

SD

I agree. And I have noticed a change in attitude of the 20-something generation over the past 5-7 years, with the freer expression of affection (hand-holding, etc. not taboo anymore), of giks ("friends w/benefits"), the acceptance of dating farangs, and a general attitude of the gals as "we are better educated, better employed, smarter, harder working and don't need your tired old rules to keep us down."

Good for them I say. Somewhat selfishly. I certainly would not be dating whom I am without this attitude change.

Cheers,

SD

Same same in Thailand as back here.

Back here some faculties/departments even have 97% of women.

Still, all the middle class Thai ladies I know complain their salaries are still lower than their male counterparts and promotion is of course more difficult.

Maybe in a few generations will we see a real shift in the socities but not for now.

Anyway, this is great to have Thai ladies speaking good to excellent English (and sometimes other languages), smart, curious about their own culture and other cultures, wishing to discover the world and able to exercise critical thinking.

Punters don't worry, these Thai girls are not to be found in Soi cowboy so long life to the nightlife

:beer:

2 Companies I work with - SAMART and ThaiCom

SAMART has few women in key positions, ThaiCom has many. I'd say SAMART is a older style Thai company ThaiCOm much more modern.

Many women I know in positions of power in Ministries etc as well.

Yes but how many women are ministers or really high ranking compared to their male counterparts?

I am no feminist but I am pretty sure Thailand would benefit from having some competent women at more high ranking posts.

Yes but how many women are ministers or really high ranking compared to their male counterparts?

:yeahthat:

4 females out of 35 cabinet members. The 3 of them in minor importance ministries and the one with a more substantial department (Commerce) and who is an ex-super-mama-san, being deemed "Mito" (Minister In Title Only) by pundits as the PM seems to have methodically stripped the ministry of its powers to the profit of other government agencies.

However, my intuition is that if Thai women, cool-headed and resilient as they seem to be, decide en-masse to embrace a political career in the future, they might be more successful than their western peers.

I agree with your intuition.

Asian women, no matter if in business or politics seem to be far more efficient (and of course calculating and cold hearted) than their male counterparts.

Certainly more efficient than the femal ministers in Berlusconi's government.

:beer:

Archived