Thai Ladies, education and power

KimDidMeGood

Gender ratio? Hilarious new scientific term.

Try "sex ratio".

Also hilarious is you're too thick to see

that the first thing to look at is the sex ratio

by age group in the general population.

If it is then found that the females are DISPROPORTIONATELY represented in the "university population" (relative to the general population's sex ratio), then the questions that are worth asking are: what social and economic processes are involved.

There are more females and males in the general population at that age group.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sex ratio

at birth: 1.05 male(s)/female

under 15 years: 1.05 male(s)/female

15-64 years: 0.98 male(s)/female

65 years and over: 0.83 male(s)/female

total population: 0.98 male(s)/female (2008 est.)

(source: Wikipedia)

These are pretty much standard ratios comparable to most countries. Unfortunately the break down doesn't show the specific age group of Uni students (say 15-25) but based on the figures above, I'm 95% sure that what you say, koow, is inaccurate, there probably is a slight edge of males in that age range.

Anyhow, my question was not really about "why" there are more females than males at uni. I just asked for confirmation and trying to discuss of the possible consequences in the future.

I'm not absolutely sure, but it seems the phenomenon of more females than males in universities is observed in most Western European countries as well (I don't know how it goes for USA or Australia). So Thailand actually is not an exception, nevertheless the fact is striking in LoS as far as Thai society presents a strong tradition of male-domination ; so one would expect parents to somewhat favor the boys in resource allocation and Uni studies require significant resource allocation.

Gender ratio? Hilarious new scientific term.

Try "sex ratio".

Also hilarious is you're too thick to see

that the first thing to look at is the sex ratio

by age group in the general population.

If it is then found that the females are DISPROPORTIONATELY represented in the "university population" (relative to the general population's sex ratio), then the questions that are worth asking are: what social and economic processes are involved.

There are more females and males in the general population at that age group.

As I said, you really are quite nasty.

I'm curious as to your level of academic attainment.

Hi,

So, Kim read the percentages the wrong way. It still doesn't support your view either as the difference between number of males and females is apparently very small. Certainly way smaller than what people see in university admissions.

Sanuk!

PS You might want to try being a bit more polite; many of your posts are quite nasty/rude.

"there probably is a slight edge of males in that age range....". Look at your numbers again.

Do you know that .98 means?

Koow, you have a solid grasp of numbers... but not such a solid grasp of interpolation.

The ratio for university aged adults could be above 1 and still be consistent with the numbers. That's why he used the word 'probably'.

Archived