What would you do? Heh.

gummigut

Greetings!

My worthless vote: Posting opinions about BGs merits/rankings/problems by specifics isn't a useful thing.

1) Changes the tone of the board. I can image the bulk would be so high that we'd need separate headings for Good BGs, Bad BGs, Diseased BGs, Cheap BGs, Near-Sighted BGs, etc....

2) Knowing the many lose lips, pretty soon word gets around about rankings, and everyone connected with the board starts getting hassled or worse. Kinda dangerous from Thai boyfriends, bar owners, husbands, etc...

3) After seeing some of the few "jerks" performing their act of offensive behavior, perhaps tainting the girl would be a mistake.

4) Getting old enough that would need to carry notes around to the bars and Thermae. Most inconvenient. Some of the bars are too dark, plus if I forgot the reading glasses, well.....

Though one might not agree, to me its rather amusing when Khun Sanuk takes a stand by decree. Its his board. As in any decent organization, one can not rule by committee. There must be a boss.

Most of all, quite happy with the board the way it is now.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Itsmedave:

"Frankly, I care more about us (as a whole) than I do about them."

I don't. I don't see why I should care more about a handle on a board than about a faceless girl in a bar. I would say I care equally about their rights.

"Why is it you worry about where the line is to be drawn? This is your board and you can draw it where you see fit. (as you have)"

Correct. No reviews, no names, no numbers smile.gif

Seriously though, if I draw the line anywhere else, leaving just a slight bit of grey area, people will inevitably try to push the line a bit further, which would result in a lot more work for the moderators.

"Already we are allowed to post about good and bad experiences in bars. I've seen many a thread where "Firecats" in Patpong has been dragged through the mud for padding the bill. Couldn't this type of post also be made by someone who has a score to settle?"

It's a numbers game. It is much more likely that several people have gone to a certain bar, than have gone with a certain girl. Therefore it becomes a lot easier to get different opinions, which in turn will reduce the chances of postings for the purpose of score settling.

FarangDang:

"I think the topic (naming names) should be freely discussed; perhaps the Board Bar is the place for that in the future."

I hope I am misreading this. You are not seriously suggesting that it would be fine to break my rules in a different forum on this same board, are you?

"If enough members of the board are convinced that changing a policy is the right thing, I'm sure KS will at least reconsider his analysis. But as long as the topic is hotly contested, he'll probably just go with what he thinks is right."

Thank you for your support, but I am afraid that even if I would find that, say, 80% of the people would like to see reviews and names on this board, it would not mean a change in policy. Personal ethics outweigh the success/failure of this board.

Sanuk!

All,

I'm with KS on this one......

This board is not really about getting info, it is about exchanging info........

I find no problem in naming a bar or a place where something positive or negative happened, but I find it not fair to do that with girls.

Indeed, if you want to name a girl, would you then also be willing to print your full name, address and e-mail ????

I mean not your yahoo or hotmail address where most of us hide behind, but your work or private address ??

I dont think so......!

Say there is this nice girl, but you totally wasted and ask here something silly and she walks........

Then on this board you will ruin her reputation and career ???????? why ???????

On the matter of the girls starting a board in the internet : they dont really need that, do they ????

Their tam tam is working just fine, thank you.........

Just my 2 eurocent worth........

Over-publicizing incidents like this is pointless and some people could get very pissed off losing face etc and do something stupid. This board is highly identifiable and anyone can scan it. Bars and go-go girls, what can we expect, higher professional standards? Once enough girls, and their boyfriends etc got to know what was going on what do you think might happen, this detailed database compiled for all to review; uncharted territory in a murky area. Anyway it?s a moot point because it?s not going to happen. You can be sure a few more Thais would be watching this board. We are guests here, but each to his own.

[color:blue]I think the topic (naming names) should be freely discussed; perhaps the Board Bar is the place for that in the future.color=blue>

I hope I am misreading this. You are not seriously suggesting that it would be fine to break my rules in a different forum on this same board, are you?

In retrospect perhaps that was unclear. I'm saying that the discussion about whether to name names should not be squelched.

[color:blue]If enough members of the board are convinced that changing a policy is the right thing, I'm sure KS will at least reconsider his analysis. But as long as the topic is hotly contested, he'll probably just go with what he thinks is right.color=blue>

Thank you for your support, but I am afraid that even if I would find that, say, 80% of the people would like to see reviews and names on this board, it would not mean a change in policy. Personal ethics outweigh the success/failure of this board.

Sticking to your convictions is fine. However, anyone who doesn't at least re-evaluate their decisions when the vast majority is against them is foolish.

Personal ethics outweigh the success/failure of this board.

Wow, often heard but rarely seen (no cynicism)!!!

I am with you on this.

Cheers

We get all the benefits, the girls get all the drawbacks.

Most honest girls who just want to provide a good service will also benefit in the long run.

Even the AIDS one? Anybody posting that a certain girl has AIDS, true or not, will likely ruin her career/life. Most people would take the "better safe than sorry" approach and will not take her, and the rumour will spread.

Yes, even the AIDS one. I'm not quite sure how a reviewer would post a credible report that a BG certainly has HIV, it is unlikely that he would have seen her test results. Any such random claim would certainly bring out many people on the board who would question it. A review saying "DUDE, XXX AT YYY HAS AIDS!" would be yanked or at least debunked very quickly. This particular rumor is not difficult to refute or mitigate. It is absolutely wrong for any BG to provide risky sexual services while she is HIV+ or even unsure. If coworkers or barowners (or even a frequent customer) have heard this rumor and it seemed credible, the girl need only show her test results. Can results be faked? Yes, but the barowners and other girls should be knowledgeable and skeptical enough to require better proof.

It seems inconsistent that people who are against naming names will state that there is little value in the review because of the vast number of bargirls and that therefore board members won't seek out or avoid specific girls, yet at the same time think the girls will be damaged greatly if they get a spurious bad review.

This means you would likely end up with a list of girls based upon the opinions of only one guy. Would you go out looking for the 'good' ones and avoid the 'bad' based on the opinion of 1 or 2 guys?

Yes, I would, especially if the reviewer had some history on the board. Little information is better than none. There are already many non-specific references to girls here that make me tempted to seek out that girl. If I get to the bar in question and don't find the one or two girls who had good reviews, I will be on my own. If the girls aren't as appealing to me personally than others, I'll call an audible and go with the one I like.

Likely your assumptions are correct, I however do not wish to treat human beings like goods. You mentioned restaurant reviews earlier, not the same I think as reviewing people. After all, in a restaurant review it is not the cook being reviewed, it is the entire restaurant. Big difference in my eyes.

You don't review the person, you review the service. This includes rating her looks and personality (in the bar), but doesn't put a number or value on the person as a whole. A bad food review hurts a professional chef personally more than you might think. Both "professionals" should just get over it.

You are probably correct, but of course this only holds true for regular customers. What about the 2-weeks-a-year tourist who does this (short changing)? You don't honestly believe that, other than the girls he fleeced (and maybe some of their friends), anybody will remember when he next comes around?

If this guy stiffs a BG (not in a good way) he will be unwelcome in that bar for the rest of his trip. This reaction will be almost immediate and usually complete (i.e. news will travel fast and no girl from the bar will take him, even if the original girl is not there). Also, when he comes back in a year I do think that usually some of the girls will remember him and they will tell everyone else in the bar.

Yet, a review on the Internet is there to stay, forever.

I don't know why this would be a problem. The information is less accurate and less useful as time goes on (recent reviews are given more weight and are more easily remembered). I admit there's a possiblity that a guy who wants to marry a bar girl will be able to check up on her and find out she really wasn't a virgin. But I don't know why he should be prevented from having that info. A girl who wants to move on and put her past behind her can do so. There is no concrete evidence to tie a random Thai girl to a specific bar and number. Sometimes, it may come back to her if someone specifically remembers her and when and where she worked, but that's the price she has to pay for being in the business.

Right now their network is far more efficient than ours. It is unlikely that in the near future any review system would match theirs, but eventually it may. At that point most BGs will be on the internet too, so everything will have changed.

1) Changes the tone of the board. I can image the bulk would be so high that we'd need separate headings for Good BGs, Bad BGs, Diseased BGs, Cheap BGs, Near-Sighted BGs, etc....

Typically, you would have a separate board just for reviews and ideally they would be indexed by bar and girl. That's usually the most useful way, but not the only way. If regular trip reports just included a name, that would be an improvement. When I venture into Midnite bar, e.g., I could easily pinpoint which girls Ranger was referring to (if he chose to reveal); rather than trying to guess which is the dusky one, which the fat, but amiable one, ....

2) Knowing the many lose lips, pretty soon word gets around about rankings, and everyone connected with the board starts getting hassled or worse. Kinda dangerous from Thai boyfriends, bar owners, husbands, etc...

That's actually another category for the review section: "Loose Lips", but I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing wink.gif

I don't know if rankings would be good, you'd have to try that out to make sure. I don't think any of these people (or the girls) have a right to privacy for what they do. If people really got hassled, that would be a problem; that is a practical detail and should factor into the final decision. If many girls left the business because of this, that would also be a practical (not a moral) reason not to do reviews.

4) Getting old enough that would need to carry notes around to the bars and Thermae. Most inconvenient. Some of the bars are too dark, plus if I forgot the reading glasses, well.....

That's actually a big reason why reviews overall may not be practical. If I was planning on going to a particular bar (or MP) I would do a quick scan to see if there were anyone I should look out for (good or bad). Sometimes the info sinks in, sometimes I'm too drunk to remember, or plans change. Reviews are actually more useful for people who visit a lot, because they just need to track the changes in their favorite hangouts. This applies just as much to bars as BGs for those of us who visit only once a year. I do a scan to see which are the popular bars in PP or NEP these days and try to remember the details (sometimes to no avail).

[color:blue]Frankly, I care more about us (as a whole) than I do about them.color=blue>

I don't. I don't see why I should care more about a handle on a board than about a faceless girl in a bar. I would say I care equally about their rights.

If you're talking about "rights" then everyone is equal, we shouldn't infringe on anyone's rights (assuming we could agree on what they are).

However, Dave has a point that we should care more about people we have some connection with, than not. It's not a BGs vs. Customer thing. I would care more about the people on this board who I've chatted with than some random bargirl. However, I care more about the BGs I know than some random customer.

Correct. No reviews, no names, no numbers

Seriously though, if I draw the line anywhere else, leaving just a slight bit of grey area, people will inevitably try to push the line a bit further, which would result in a lot more work for the moderators.

It's always going to be grey. Many posts have violated your "no reviews" requirement. The original post of this thread is such a case. If you mean no reviews with any identifying info, that is a little more specific. However, there have been cases of that (the grey area is how well identified is the girl and how complete the review). Maybe your grey area is smaller than the full review grey area would be and it would be more work. That's your call. However, I do think there would be people who would step up to moderate such a section.

Some of the objections go away (or are mitigated) if you put the full reviews only in the pay section of the board (e.g. it would be far less likely that a random user would post a deliberately inaccurate review, and less likely that someone would innocently stumble across a review). This would result in a far fewer number of reviews, but it still might be useful. Unfortunately it also puts you in the position of seemingly benefiting from something that some people might find objectionable. I wouldn't see it that way, but some might.

Archived