I got the poison. I got the remedy. June 11th.

dave32

Arrive in BKK late on June 11 (11:45pm).

Check in to the Nana Hotel. So many stories -- I couldn't resist. I'm sure it won't live up to the hype, but good for the spirit nonetheless. Or something.

There till Monday then off to Pattaya. Back in BKK from June 23rd to July 1st. (Staying at the Maxim Inn then the Darjelling).

First time in Thailand. Traveling solo. Have no idea what the fuck I'm doing. That sums it up.

A few notes I've jotted down from perusing the forum re: nightlife spots to see, maybe:

Do:

Long Gun and Sheba's, Tilac, Baccara, Angelwitch, Rainbow4, Erotica, Afterskool, Rawhide, Shark (?), dollhouse, suzy wongs, lollipop

Don't:

Our Place, Midnight (?mixed reviews?), Spice Girls, Cowboy, Kiss, Deja Vu & Spanky's

Or here [ladyboys]: Obsession, Temptations, Casanova, and Cascade.

*note: not a damn thing against lady-boys and those that...ummm... well, nothing against that, just not for me.

**note: I like to drink. a lot. Will have to curb that slightly for many reasons on this trip, lady-boys being right there at the top.

After-hours:

Spice Club - Basement of Ambassador Hotel.

Tunnel - Soi Rong Mueang 1

Spicy - Lang Muang Soi 5.

Bossy (?)

Daytime:

river. chatuchuk market. chinatown. palace. night-time bazaar. ride the skytrain and take random stops.

So, the question is, any input? Any advice for the uninformed ignorant neophyte? Serious.

I may post something in meetings thread. Next Friday will be literally my first day in country, but hell -- what better time.

Take care.

â??Never get out of bed before noonâ?Â

-Bukowski

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How old are you and what's your ethnicity?

You've selected all of the same. No massage parlors (Tulip)? Mega massage parlors? BJ bars (Lolita's)? Sex clubs (Eden)? Freelancer joints (Thermae if you are asian looking, Beergarden soi 7 if you like dodging fat, ugly whores)? G-clubs (never been to one myself)? Karaoke joints?

I usually like to start off early, sitting in front of one of the beer bars and watching the girls/customers go by. Strikers is my fav spot in Nana. Shadow Bar in cowboy.

I don't do go-gos much but I think the best shows are at Hollywood Carousel (Nana). I've heard Angelwitch is good too but ever since a mamasan ripped me off my newbie ass on my first trip to BKK, I've never gone back in there. A friend of mine recently began his boycott of Angelwitch when he noticed they were cheating him with light drink pours.

If this is your first trip, and you're solo, I bet you would have more fun in a beer bar than a gogo. Stop inside one of the expat bars, introduce yourself to the owners, and you'll get a wealth of information.

Your list is straight off the Internet and assumes people have the same tastes as you. A place you have on your ignore list could end up being your favorite.

You need a place to go to relax with no pressure, sort of a home base. I recommend the X-box (Raja parking lot). You can go in there late afternoons (after 5:00 or so) have a beer and meet the owner(s) and other guys that will be more then happy to give some advice on what to do and where to go. Some may even be willing to take you around to a few places.

Relax and have fun.

TH

How old are you and what's your ethnicity?

36. American mutt. Caucasian I suppose.

Seen most of Europe (lived on a couch in Berlin for several months), Canada, Mexico... but never been anywhere in Asia.

My ex is Korean (and a royal pain in the ass), and my closest friends here are Vietnamese-Chinese who came to LA as refugees. They go to LOS -- a lot -- and recently made the implication that I was a coward. Well, we can't be having that now. Hence, I'm there next week.

Heard about Eden but the thing with choosing from a menu is a little too detached or something. I don't know, didn't appeal to me. Know nothing about the other places or the culture there in general, hence my query.

My friends' advice was to go, observe, and figure it out. Which I'll make some feeble attempt at. Just soliciting a little input. Unless this trip is some sort of major catastrophe I'll be back with them in November.

Anyhoo -- thanks for the words. Adding Beergarden Soi 7 to the 'don't list,' (and I also like the suggestion of sitting in the beer bars and getting a feel for the environment).

Looking forward to it.

btw - any recommendations on Expat bars?

You've selected all of the same. No massage parlors (Tulip)? Mega massage parlors? BJ bars (Lolita's)? Sex clubs (Eden)? Freelancer joints (Thermae if you are asian looking, Beergarden soi 7 if you like dodging fat, ugly whores)? G-clubs (never been to one myself)? Karaoke joints?

I usually like to start off early, sitting in front of one of the beer bars and watching the girls/customers go by. Strikers is my fav spot in Nana. Shadow Bar in cowboy.

If this is your first trip, and you're solo, I bet you would have more fun in a beer bar than a gogo. Stop inside one of the expat bars, introduce yourself to the owners, and you'll get a wealth of information.

Your list is straight off the Internet and assumes people have the same tastes as you. A place you have on your ignore list could end up being your favorite.

Yep.

You need a place to go to relax with no pressure, sort of a home base.

Top priority sir.

I recommend the X-box (Raja parking lot). You can go in there late afternoons (after 5:00 or so) have a beer and meet the owner(s) and other guys that will be more then happy to give some advice on what to do and where to go. Some may even be willing to take you around to a few places.

Relax and have fun.

TH

Two words: thank you. :)

I'd say Muay Thai boxing on the tourist end, tho myself I got caught being sold the jacked-up foreigner ticket for something like 1000 baht -- maybe vets here know better how to get in at the normal price (or at least a reasonable price -- there's no way that experience is worth anything close to 1000 baht).

And of course the blatantly obvious: can't miss Wat Po, Grand Palace.

Your list looks very heavy on go-gos -- a decent selection as far as I can tell though.

I notice some general categories suggested above but without specifics, which of course are the key for a first-time visitor. How is he going to know what a mega-massage is, or which ones are which, and where they are. Maybe a better way to go is to recommend one good starter place in each category so he can figure out what he likes based on checking out one of each.

Off the top of my head, I'd say a visit to Thermae is obvious, at least to get a look. And checking out the Nana parking lot too, especially around 1am to 2am. Both those much more user-friendly than the clubs like Spice, etc.

I've never been to one of those massage places where they have giant pictures of girl's faces but that's what I meant by mega-massage (Ahp Ob Nuat). My intention was to point out the different categories that could be googled for more info rather than spoon feed a bunch of places the OP might not even like. I kinda stick to what I like and don't feel the need to vary all that much.

The reason I don't like doing go-gos solo is because they are dark, the music's loud, and the "shows" are usually boring. If you do the go-go as a first-timer in BKK, you will most likely be pestered to death for drinks by everyone and will also be ripped off if the mamasan arranges the fees. Plus I just think go-gos are just better when you are with a buddy.

I second the Xbox nomination. Great place to meet good people who are just as horny as you are.

Be careful of exotic looking women, who approach you on the street and appear overly friendly, getting intimate and tactile....

They are only after removing your valuables (wallet/mobile/passport). They don't want to be friends.

Secondly, they are unlikely to be women...

As you've travelled a lot, I'm sure you are streetwise, but it is recommended, especially at the moment, to split up your valuables upon your person, using zipable or fastenable pockets and/or keep your hands in your pockets if walking along Sukhumvit and don't listen to the welcoming taunts, of which there will be many.

Finally, only carry what you need...leave credit cards in a secure safe (if available) in the hotel.

And one more thing...

Don't believe the bullshit you will hear. Don't fall in love with the first lady who gets your attention, move around a lot, change bars regularly and always always always wear a little rubber friend when entertaining.

Yeah, I know, you knew all that...so does everyone, or so they say...odd how many don't do what they say.

Enjoy and have a blast, as I'm sure you will!

(Can't recommend bars, as don't bother with them myself)

Archived