Biden says some waste inevitable part of stimulus

youngfarang

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Vice President Joe Biden acknowledged on Tuesday that some waste is inevitable in the spending of a $787 billion economic stimulus package, in a characteristically blunt assessment.

"We know some of this money is going to be wasted," Biden said during a roundtable discussion in New York with business leaders aimed at promoting the two-year stimulus plan.

The package was approved by the Democratic-led Congress in February over the objections of most Republicans, who were concerned about the potential for wasteful spending and because it will add billions of dollars to U.S. deficit spending....

http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSTRE5516HE20090602

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So would you have been cheering if Biden had said the opposite?

He states the obvious but in the most politically idiotic ways. Waste is a sign of a healthy, well-functioning market. Zero waste to me implies that people are so freaked out, they will only invest in riskless projects.

Exactly! The bankers loaned us the money we can't pay back...so give US the money, we'll pay the bankers, then everyone is clear...

As for Biden...seems he told the truth here. Has ANY political party EVER passed a bill that didn't have some special interest/waste in it? here is a news flash for the repubs...NOTHING is ever perfect! Utopia is NOT/NEVER an option.

To me, the repubs can't figure out how or why they lost, and they can't get over it. Until they do, we will continue to have grid lock.

If The dems proposal sucks, then the repubs need to come up with a better one, that has some of what the dems have, instead of just trying to cut cut cut/bash bash...

I have said this before, I'll say it again. the dems tax, then spend the money, then tax again, and spend again...the repubs spend then tax to cover it, then spend again...a mess has been created, by who does NOT matter at this point, what matters is that it gets fixed and fast.

Instead, what we have is a bunch of dip shits who would be fired from any real job in the real world because of their incompetency, all running around having a circle jerk saying "...you did this...yeah well I'm excused because you did that...well you also did this and that..." as if any finger pointing is going to help anything.

Of course as long as people are happy to just blame others, and show more interest in a stupid t.v. show ("...oh, politics yeah...wait, who won "American Idol..?") than they do about what is being done to them, then we are all fucked. Jefferson was right, we have the government we deserve.

I thought the conservatives were supposed to be the business minded ones. It makes no sense to you that there is waste involved in investment? There are a lot of accounting terms for it like scrap, shrinkage, rework, write-offs, bad debt, obsolescence, impairment...

Even if one dollar is wasted in this bill that is too much. This stimulus bill is the taxpayers money. ALL OF IT! The government is saying "we know how to spend your money" yet they then say they are going to waste some of it. Doesn't make any sense to me.

$1 wasted is too much? you are on crack kid! If the government only wasted $1 it would be a big improvement! Name ANY 1 program where money wasn't wasted (not even $1)...

Now when GWB started the first round of bailouts, was that wasted money? Or is tax payer money ONLY wasted by the democrats?

Stop this party alliance crap and realize they are all the same, and all just as bad, and that we are screwed as long as we keep reelecting these fuck wits.

Let me add, the other part of the problem is the AMerican consumer, we have a sense of entitlement that seems to rival no other. We need to change our way of thinking as well.

Archived