Michael Jackson dead?

kamui

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Born into the slums of Gary Indiana?

Are you sure he was raised in a slum? My understanding is his father was a crane-operator for US Steel and a musician at night...

Probably solid blue-collar up-bringing but less to go around to each kid considering the high number of kids..But still enough dispoable income to get the kids activly involved in music at an early age...

Slum children usually don't have this type of parental guidance nor steady income to avoid the pitfalls of living on the edge...

Will be interesting to see how they portray his family's early years when movies/documentaries/specials start to hit the airways...

I am going to guess blue collar initially vs slum upbringing and that changed dramitcally to some means/riches very soon thereafter...

CB

I spoke to a fella once who had been raised by sharecropper parents in Alabama. He told me he read in Joe Louis's biography that Joe had it really tough as a kid, since his folks were sharecroppers.

The guy said to me, "I thought we had it pretty good. This nice man gave us a house to live in, clothes to wear, food to eat, and even some pocket money. We had land to plough, a mule to do so, and seeds to plant - and he still let us keep half of everything we grew. Without him we'd have had nothing." All depends on your viewpoint.

:dunno:

I was just responding to a comment that in my perception was inaccurate..

His father worked, had both parents (major success in that regard), father was a strict disciplinarian, music role-model, small house in a working class neighborhood...

That is a far cry from saying "raised in the slums..."

First of all, not sure if "slums" fit american living..Okay ghettos, projects, red-light districts, don't get off the freeway here, war zones, areas to stay out of. Places that adopt directional words in their names..East St. Louis, West Oakland, South Cenral LA, East Palo Alto, Harlem, all of fricking Richmond, CA etc..

His family neigborhood probably described a good section of american life back then..

I don't think MJ was a case of a bare-foot, scrounging for food, do it alone rags to riches story. Hell, he wasn't even an immigrant...

Lower-middle class kid/family who made it big.

They will spend almost no time when the movie comes out on where Michael came from vs say a true "project" kid...father in jail, mother an AIDS drug addict and on and on...

MJ was not a "slum" kid Gary Indiana....

CB

Elvis was a poor country boy. His father worked and supported the family, and his mother was supposed to be nearly a saint. Elvis was poor, period. But so were a lot of Southern boys of his generation - black and white. And what about all of the Italian-American singers - Dean Martin, Perry Como etc. First generation Americans, most of them. Dean Martin didn't learn English until he started school.

Actually, how many celebrities did NOT come from a poor background? The celebs of the generation before Dean Martin et al were heavily from a Jewish immigrant background. After the Italian wave, the next one was black. Wonder who will be next ... Hispanic or Asian???

Born into the slums of Gary Indiana?

Are you sure he was raised in a slum? My understanding is his father was a crane-operator for US Steel and a musician at night...

Probably solid blue-collar up-bringing but less to go around to each kid considering the high number of kids..But still enough dispoable income to get the kids activly involved in music at an early age...

Slum children usually don't have this type of parental guidance nor steady income to avoid the pitfalls of living on the edge...

Will be interesting to see how they portray his family's early years when movies/documentaries/specials start to hit the airways...

I am going to guess blue collar initially vs slum upbringing and that changed dramitcally to some means/riches very soon thereafter...

CB

Gary is a dump.

Without the steel mills it would be a sewer...I lived on the Illinois side of the border and well know Gary, IN.

We would drive down Washington Street and the ladies would tap on the windows of the houses there to let you know they were available...or so I read somewhere :rolleyes:

Not sure if Papa Jacko works at USX but pretty sure that he was pushing the boys in the local music scene. For sure, Gary was and is a corrupt sewer. Jacko made it out, that was good, but WTF went south after that...

Archived