Gem scam or no scam?

khunsanuk

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's defrauding visitors, it's bad for tourism and it's run by the Thai Police.

They have scammers posted on every corner intercepting visitors, telling them lies and delivering them to the next scammer.

Tourists are then passed off from one scammer to the next.

This cop has been at the Erawan Shrine for years setting up tourists.

Exactly.....confidence game. If you don't know what you're doing, don't buy it. Like a wise poster said in another thread....som nom na.

Yeah, I agree... serves them right for delving into something that is too good to be true and trying to make a fast buck.

However, it's still a scam under the correct definition of the word.

You seem to be implying that if someone loses money due to their own greed then it can't be a scam. I am saying it can, and it is by the true definition of the word.

Then any transaction can be called a scam (because multiple people, somewhere, are making a profit).

Much like any woman can be called a whore (they all put strings, usually monetary or material, on giving up the pussy).

But in reality, both are not true to the real meaning of the words.

Cheers,

SD

Then any transaction can be called a scam (because multiple people, somewhere, are making a profit).

No, because what I am saying is that a "scam" is making large money by DECEPTIVE PRACTICES and not getting what you think you are paying for.

With the laser pointer you used in a previous exmaple, SD, you are getting a "genuine" item for want of a better word - whether or not you pay 100 baht or 500 baht for it. That's doesn't matter. You are still receiving the item you believe you are purchasing in good faith.

In the gem scam you are NOT receiving something genuine. That's the main difference. Hence, you are SCAMMED.

Archived