Bangkok to Las Vegas and back..

Faustian

Anyone made this journey? I need to do this in November, for a wedding (not my own). Advice on best routes to take would be useful...and good airlines to use...I doubt there's a direct flight option available...right?

Also, really want to check out the Grand Canyon and Monument Valley...anyone done this from Las Vegas? How to do it, if you have, please.

I hope I've given up smoking before this trip...it will be hell otherwise.

Any advice, help, insights greatly appreciated.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uep, I've done it...it's a hellishly long flight, but sometimes even cheaper than flying to the west cpast. Check local travel agents in Bangkok for deals.

The flight I took was with Philipine Air (I think) and stopped in Manila (overnight...but they gave us a room for free, so kinda cool) Then on to Vegas (possibly a stop in LA...can't remember for sure)

Trips to the Grand Canyon are easy to get from Sin City...there are numerous tours leaving from here, or you could drive yourslef 2-3 hours)

Have fun!

Guest lazyphil

give yourself as much time as you can at grand canyon, its the most incredible site ....can do from las vegas but stay over at a campsite or local motel......whats your fittness like, if good, hike it to the river, you can get the feel for it just gazing over it, you need to feel it, let it hurt you lol, it nearly killed me literally, GO FULLY PREPARED!! hiked mid summer, no hat, not enough water/food, no sun block, crappy footwear, the most brutal hike i've done and did in a day and you're supposed to camp at the bottom and hike up next day, i hurt for days after haha....try get to arches, zion, bryce and canyonlands national parks and as you said monument valley, also very near monument valley you can horse ride to the banks of the san juan river and camp under the stars with no tents and camp fire i did that on a organised trip, i'll look for the people who took me, very local to site......totally out of this world! ...you'll need a hire car to get around of course...

look out for November 3 – Friday, November 6, 2009 which is the SEMA show , everything will be full then, its the biggest car parts show in the USA and the city turns into a zoo of car guys :)

LAX to Vegas is only a 45 minute flight but you need to go thru customs in LAX when you arrive in the USA,

If you are on a Pasific tour you might want to stop in Hawaii too.

The evenings that time of year can be pretty cold , once the sun goes down the temps drop quick.

Have Fun

BK

Anyone made this journey? I need to do this in November, for a wedding (not my own). Advice on best routes to take would be useful...and good airlines to use...I doubt there's a direct flight option available...right?

Also, really want to check out the Grand Canyon and Monument Valley...anyone done this from Las Vegas? How to do it, if you have, please.

I hope I've given up smoking before this trip...it will be hell otherwise.

Any advice, help, insights greatly appreciated.

I hope you are planning on staying in the USA for at least 2 weeks. I would reccommend 3 weeks.

As for best airline routes, I like to stop and stretch my legs which means I don't like direct flights.

You're right, there are no more nonstop transpacific flights into Las Vegas. Therefore, I'd look into going via San Francisco (avoiding LAX) on EVA and getting a connecting flight there.

Of course, if you haven't kicked the smoking habit this could be a bad idea unless Taipei re-opens the smoking rooms in the terminal (Brownfox recently reported the airport was smoke-free). Otherwise try ANA or JAL. :twocents:

PS. Of course the TG nonstop to LA is fastest, if you don't mind the long flight and possibly having to pay more for it.

Archived