bit of advance needed from the older ,wiser:)

im still quiet young,28yr old,i do save well and work hard i first went to los at 25yr old which is a good and bad thing.

it changes what you want in life but also you need to go at least twice a year which drains the savings.

last trip i saved up 20k$ for a 3 month trip around asia,2months in los,laos,veit,cambod etc.

had a great time with no regrets.

ive always wanted an asset,house is a wise place to put your money.

im currently saving again and will have another 20k by next year,the tricky thing is i can leave everything and have a 3month holiday,if i keep doing this every year i could of bought a condo in bkk very soon outright.

im caught on the idea of a condo in bkk,as can buy it quickly,dont have a 25yr mortgage and if bought wisely in your own name you cant lose it??chai mai

on the flip side i think fluck it your young,spend it all while you have party and fun in you and when your 35-40 sit in and save and worry about a house etc??

any advise or thoughts on this?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

me thinks we need to call in the financial hard dicks - I'm not old enough yet (LOL) & haven't figured life's mystery out yet - which might be a good thing actually :)

one thing for sure though - a lot of partying, different pussies is way better than money in yet another bkk condo that will never be completed :cover:

I had a few parties though about getting a condo, but ended up with a house which was mainly because I was feed up with downtown bkk as a place to live at least (longterm) - not sure what the next investment should be?

does kids count as an (wise/clever/low risk) investment? :hmmm:

Maybe there might be issues holding you back in the UK but I'd personally try and gear up to getting over to LOS full time, you're young enough to be able to get a foothold of somesort in Thailand and look at the long game. Maybe find area of work that farangs do lucratively in thailand and try and train yourself towards getting that sort of work. I know that answer's a bit oblique to the question you've aksed but it would be more of a long term answer to pissing your hard earned up the wall on 3 months of madness a year, when you could get yourself on a career in thailand or Asia, have great weekends and still put something in the pot for the future,

Don't be a mug put the money down as a deposit on a house/condo wherever you want to be. Waiting until your in your 30's or 40's is a no no.

I bought my first place in London when I was 25 but still wished I had started earlier.

An expat assignment to Asia is the ideal situation. I saved tons of money while still having lots of fun traveling throughout Asia.

Expat jobs are hard to get now, and perks are not as good as they were in the past. Still worth looking though. Find a company that just started doing business overseas. They will have more openings and their current workers will be reluctant to take the assignments.

Also, learning the language of the country you are targeting can lead to more opportunities.

Good luck.

Don't be a mug put the money down as a deposit on a house/condo wherever you want to be. Waiting until your in your 30's or 40's is a no no.

But that's the problem...if you do not know where you want to end up in life. I don't. So I have never bought a place "to live and settle in." I still rent my abode, and probably will until I die. Flexibility (if the country goes to shit, you can be on a plane tomorrow at minimal loss) and status (I can rent a far, far better place than I can afford to/want to buy, being an expat that is).

Not to say I do not own real estate. I do, but mostly in my home country with laws/stability I can live with. That's totally my retirement. And I am very conservative in buying/financing said real restate because of that. So this bubble has not affected me -- I get a perceived value in my head and I will not move off of it; but I'm into things for the long haul and it is prudent to do so IMHO. If I think it costs too much, I won't buy it (even if the "money is cheap.") I've lost some deals, yeah, but I'm laughing now.

I do not own stocks. I do not understand them at all. Far too illogical for me.

That outlook opens doors, as you can take some risks. Just a different way of looking at real estate, as opposed to "having to have a house of your own."

As always, YMMV. Afterall, I'm just a stoopid in-jun-ear, not a hy-falutin' fy-nance goo-roo.

Cheers,

SD -- where's my striped cap...toot, toot, chuga-chuga!

So I have never bought a place "to live and settle in." I still rent my abode, and probably will until I die....

I have bought a place but I won't be settling in it too long, I hope. I will also probably die in a rented abode coz I see no reason to tie up large amounts in buying a property when I could be spending and enjoying that money. I'm single and I can't take it with me.

But that's the problem...if you do not know where you want to end up in life. I don't. So I have never bought a place "to live and settle in." I still rent my abode' date=' and probably will until I die. Flexibility (if the country goes to shit, you can be on a plane tomorrow at minimal loss) and status (I can rent a far, far better place than I can afford to/want to buy, being an expat that is).

Not to say I do not own real estate. I do, but mostly in my home country with laws/stability I can live with. That's totally my retirement. And I am very conservative in buying/financing said real restate because of that. So this bubble has not affected me -- I get a perceived value in my head and I will not move off of it; but I'm into things for the long haul and it is prudent to do so IMHO. If I think it costs too much, I won't buy it (even if the "money is cheap.") I've lost some deals, yeah, but I'm laughing now.

I do not own stocks. I do not understand them at all. Far too illogical for me.

That outlook opens doors, as you can take some risks. Just a different way of looking at real estate, as opposed to "having to have a house of your own."

As always, YMMV. Afterall, I'm just a stoopid in-jun-ear, not a hy-falutin' fy-nance goo-roo.

Cheers,

SD -- where's my striped cap...toot, toot, chuga-chuga![/quote']

The OP was looking for advice, not some ramblings from a confused rambler :neener:

Hear what you say, but, having lived in rented dwellings most of my life I can advise that having your own abode and being able to make it your castle is far superior to wasting your life away in a rented room.

Archived