bit of advance needed from the older ,wiser:)

I wonder if the people who applaud a farang for "living in the moment" are the same ones who think when a BG does it, she is just a lazy, stupid whore. A farang spends on girls/booze and the BG spends it on cell phones/booze. What's the difference?

The scores of punters who take the swan dive off pattaya rooftops are all likely to be the ones who lived for the moment and found themselves in dire straits when they hit one bump too many.

But perhaps the most important issue is loneliness. When ur young and good looking, it is easy to find a companion. When you get older, you unfortunately have to pay for it. Or the cheapest option which is to become a crusty, bitter old fart that's convinced himself that being alone is the ultimate freedom. But what's the total cost of switching off that part of your humanity?

And OH, I agree with you mostly on marriage and would never do it myself. However, there is a difference between saying a marriage has no benefit to men should it end in divorce and saying marriage has no benefits to men period. In addition to tax and estate planning benefits, there is always the bit about lifelong companion that some guys get off on.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HT, I would say most Pattaya condo jumpers are guys who've got involved with bar girls who have then fleeced them? And its usually the guys who have been mr sensible previously then lost the plot and put their life savings in a girls name who loose everything. The live for the moment guy usually would either never do that or has'nt the money too having spent it all on himself?

Simie.

Simie, we all lose the plot sometimes. It could be getting fleeced, bad investments, going on an alcoholic bender, losing your job, getting conned in a business deal, whatever. The thing is most of us can shake it off and continue on with our lives. We don't have all of our entire net worth exposed to a single adverse event.

You're like me mate. I'm in my 30s, work in oil and gas and can't see any advantage in settling down.

My Thai gf is decent, independent minded and earns her own money. This cuts right down on the usual gf costs.

I'm in the UK where I'll be shortly studying a trade.

That's the key. If you can get a decent mans trade in life that someone always wants you've got it made IMO.

Office jobs will drive you nuts for fck all money.

Get a good trade like a sparkie, welder, brickie, instruments tech etc etc.

You can more easily emigrate to places and earn decent cash.

I agree partially with what you are saying but I fell that learning a trade at 30+ is leaving it too late. 25 years ago I was a time served Instrument Tiffy, between the age of 16-20 I was an apprentice with Shell, since then having attended night school for HND and then done two degrees via open learning now find myself in the position where I pick and choose where and when I work. Its taken 25 years since my apprenticeship to get to where I am now.

Last week at work I was reviewing resumes of prospective engineers and corporate guidlines (I am back with Shell again talk about full circle) state minimum requirements for Junior Engineer are Western Degree + 10 Years experience, Non-Western Degree + 20 Years experience or time served westerner + 25 years experience, and to be honest I will most probably recruit TCN's rather than westerners due to cost implications.

The last time I remember working with western techies in the Middle Eastwas over 10 years ago now and those were Australians and South Africans who undercut their EU Breatheren (especially the Afrikaans post Mandella's release, reverse apartheid etc). In SE Asia I would guess that over 85% of Engineering positions even with MNC's are now filled with local labour or Indians very few westerns anymore.

Thats not to say that its not possible but it was a damn site easier back in my day (jeez I feel an old fart now) and if I was recruiting a 30 something westerner with minimal experience would fall far short of a TCN on my list of requirements.

If I was young BuBi with 20.000 USD to burn in Asia and would have the entrepreneurial experience of old BuBi , here comes the way to go :

Build houses in Siam . An about 30 sqm rural estate costs you no more than unbelievable 75.000 baht plus land . Your 20.000 USd will do about 8 of them , plus land . Rent those to tourists or whomever . The return will be phantastic .

I spent the bigger part of last week to research exactly this and will launch a project later this year . Nuff said .

BuBi

Don't do something stupid like wasting a million baht on a lowest quality Bangkok condo . They build them all over the place , this is high risk area for reselling one day .

Health and happiness are the two most important things to me and I can therefore relate to all that you say.

You underestimate the stimulating possibilities of cash supporting both above mentioned values .

:yeahthat:

“Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.â€Â

"All I ask is a chance to prove money can't make me happy"

Spike Mulligan

TH

Archived