Calif. tax officials: Legal pot would bring $1.4B

Flashermac

As noted in a prior post, who knows how many people are hooked on prescription, legal drugs. Half the kids on xanax or whatever and lord knows how many 'regular, law abiding' Americans hooked on any assortment of prescription pills.

Who has to foot the bill for any medical issues from the legalization is another matter and should not be part of the equation of making it legal. A right is a right. I have a right over my own body.

There are untold millions, perhaps billions, of direct or indirect costs of cigs and alcohol but no one is talking about banning them. Adding one more thing may increase that amount but it shouldn't be a reason for NOT making it legal as noted above.

Would or should a national health plan cover treatment? Prevention? I don't know. I tend to think one should take responsibility for their own decisions but I personally would include something with regards to treatment. I can certainly understand the sentiments of those who would prefer it not to be and for those individuals to purchase personal insurance to cover that possibility.

If a person gets hooked on legal drugs, I believe, if they have insurance, they are generally covered for treatment.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If a person gets hooked on legal drugs, I believe, if they have insurance, they are generally covered for treatment.

Same with heroin, or anything else.

I take a simple view of the issue. Marijuana is harmless compared to alcohol. I went through my entire adolescence smoking it every waking hour - it made me the man I am today - (no comments from the peanut gallery, OK?) and I can't imagine it's any less prevalent in society or harder to procure now than it was in the 70s. So legalize it.

BTW, last time this topic came up on the board, I consulted the only grower I know, and he agrees from a business perspective.

PS. I pretty much quit smoking it at the age of 17, so it couldn't have been all that addictive. In fact, I could probably pass a drug test right now. Or maybe in a week or two.

Archived